|Education||University of Notre Dame|
Thom Browne collection|
Thom Grey (collaboration with Barneys New York)
Black Fleece by Brooks Brothers
Moncler Gamme Bleu
Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) Menswear Designer of the Year in 2013 and 2006|
Pratt Institute Fashion Visionary Award in 2013
National Design Award from the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in 2012
GQ Designer of the Year in November 2008
Rising Star Award for Menswear by Fashion Group International in 2005
Thom Browne is an American fashion designer. He is the founder and head of design for Thom Browne, a New York City-based menswear and womenswear brand. Browne debuted his womenswear collection in 2003.
Early life and education
Browne grew up in Allentown, Pennsylvania, where he graduated from William Allen High School He then attended the University of Notre Dame, where he received a degree in economics and was a member of the swim team. He also loved fashion from a young age.
Following an attempt at acting in Los Angeles, Browne moved to New York City in 1997 for a job as a salesman in Giorgio Armani’s showroom. Browne was picked up by Club Monaco, a brand of the Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation, to lead its creative development team. He worked with the US-American fashion designer Ralph Lauren. Browne spent several years at Club Monaco leading its design department before launching his own label.
On September 8, 2006, Brooks Brothers announced its partnership with Browne as part of a guest designer program to create and distribute a 50-piece men and women’s high-end collection, Black Fleece by Brooks Brothers. Claudio Del Vecchio, Chairman and CEO of Brooks Brothers, said "Thom Browne's brilliant eye, his ability to foreshadow the market and offer a special look will bring a new dimension to Brooks Brothers."
The line appeared exclusively in 30 Brooks Brothers stores worldwide beginning in September 2007. In July 2008, Thom Browne and Brooks Brothers announced their decision to continue their partnership in the Black Fleece collection for another three years. The line proved so successful, Brooks Brothers opened a standalone Black Fleece store located in New York City's West Village.
In 2008, Browne teamed up with the Italian sportswear company and down apparel specialist Moncler to design their men's top line Moncler Gamme Bleu. The men's collection was launched for winter 2009 after the women's collection Moncler Gamme Rouge - designed by Alessandra Facchinetti from 2006 to 2008 and thereafter by Giambattista Valli - had proven very successful. Browne's first collection for Moncler was presented in January 2009 and has since been shown at Milan Fashion week. As with his signature collection that has been presented in a circus setting, an antiquated open plan office or on a tennis court inspired runway, Browne showed his Moncler collections on an artificial ski slope (winter 2009), at the Milanese public indoor swimming pool Piscina Cozzi (summer 2010), and at a military-style barrack mockup (winter 2010).
In August 2018, Ermenegildo Zegna announced that they purchased 85% of the brand at a half-billion dollar valuation. This was seen as a bid to court a younger demographic and reach new markets. Thom Browne is the only other shareholder, with 15% of the brand, and will continue as the brand’s chief creative officer. Rodrigo Bazan will remain the chief executive officer of Thom Browne.
Awards and honors
- CFDA Menswear Designer of the Year Award, 2016, 2013 and 2006
- GQ Designer of the Year, 2008
- Cooper Hewitt National Design Award, 2012
- "Thom Browne Branching Out". WWD. 20 November 2013. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- "Kempt Woman: Thom Browne's Debutante Debut". The FADER. Archived from the original on 2014-04-07.
- Wilson, Eric (January 21, 2013). "A Fashion First for the Designer Thom Browne at the Inauguration". The New York Times. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- WWD: Moncler Gamme Bleu Men's RTW Fall 2009 (January 19, 2009)
- WWD: Facchinetti ending deal with Moncler (December 4, 2007)
- Glam Chic: Valli to design for Moncler (January 15, 2008)
- highsnobiety.com: Moncler Gamme Bleu By Thom Browne Fall 2009 Collection (January 30, 2009)
- highsnobiety.com: Moncler Gamme Bleu Spring/Summer 2010 Presentation By Thom Browne (June 23, 2009)
- highsnobiety.com: Moncler Gamme Bleu Fall/Winter 2010 Milan Show (January 20, 2010)
- Special Report: Menswear - Skull and Bones (January 19, 2010)
- "Ermenegildo Zegna buys Thom Browne". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- "Ermenegildo Zegna buys Thom Browne in a bid for Younger Customers". The New York Times. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- Official site, ABOUT THOM BROWNE
- Yaeger, Lynn (31 August 2013). "Thom Browne's Manhattan Apartment". Architectural Digest. Retrieved 18 May 2016.