Thom Browne

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thom Browne
Born (1965-09-27) September 27, 1965 (age 57)
Alma materUniversity of Notre Dame
OccupationFashion designer
LabelThom Browne
PartnerAndrew Bolton
Websitethombrowne.com

Thom Browne (born September 27, 1965) is an American fashion designer. He is the founder and head of design for Thom Browne, a luxury fashion brand based in New York City. Browne debuted his womenswear collection in 2014.[1][2]

Early life and education[edit]

Thom Browne was born in Allentown, Pennsylvania on September 27, 1965.[3] He graduated from William Allen High School in Allentown and attended the University of Notre Dame, where he was a member of the track and field team and graduated with a degree in economics.

Career[edit]

Michelle Obama (center) at Barack Obama's second inauguration, wearing a Browne silk jacquard coat and dress in a navy checked pattern based on "a men’s necktie fabric".[4]
Thom Browne Sunglasses from his eyewear collection

Following an attempt at an acting career in Los Angeles, Browne moved to New York City in 1997, where he began working as a salesman at Armani. Club Monaco, then a Polo Ralph Lauren brand, later selected him to lead its creative development team, where he worked with American fashion designer Ralph Lauren. Browne led Club Monaco's design department for several years before launching the Thom Browne label.

Collaborations[edit]

In September 2006, Brooks Brothers announced its partnership with Browne as part of a guest designer program to create and distribute a 50-piece men's and women's high-end collection, Black Fleece by Brooks Brothers.[1] Claudio Del Vecchio, chairman and chief executive officer of Brooks Brothers, said "Thom Browne's brilliant eye... his ability to foreshadow the market and offer a special look will bring a new dimension to Brooks Brothers."[citation needed]

The line appeared exclusively in 30 Brooks Brothers stores worldwide beginning in September 2007. In July 2008, Thom Browne and Brooks Brothers announced they would continue their partnership in the Black Fleece collection for another three years. Brooks Brothers opened a standalone Black Fleece store located in New York City's West Village.[citation needed]

In 2008, Browne teamed up with the Italian sportswear company and down apparel specialist Moncler to design their men's top line Moncler Gamme Bleu, which launched in January 2009.[1][5] The line was shown at Milan Fashion Week.

In September 2020, Browne made a scarf[6] as part of Joe Biden's "Believe in Better" fashion collection, which included collaborations from 18 other fashion designers around the country as part of the Biden's 2020 presidential campaign.[7] His scarf, along with the rest of the collection, was made in unionized factories and is available for purchase; all purchase proceeds were donated to Biden's presidential campaign.

Sale[edit]

In August 2018, Zegna purchased 85% of the brand for $500 million, which was seen as a bid by the century-old Italian company to court a younger demographic and reach new markets..[8][9] Browne continues to hold the remaining 15% ownership stake in the brand and has continued as its chief creative officer.[9] Rodrigo Bazan remains the company's chief executive officer.[9]

Awards and honors[edit]

Personal life[edit]

Browne lives with Andrew Bolton,[11] who is curator at the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan.[12] His older brother, Pat Browne, is a former member of the Pennsylvania State Senate and Governor-elect Josh Shapiro's nominee for Secretary of Revenue.

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b c "Thom Browne Branching Out". WWD. 20 November 2013. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
  2. ^ "Kempt Woman: Thom Browne's Debutante Debut". The FADER. Archived from the original on 2014-04-07.
  3. ^ "Ensemble,spring/summer 2016 Thom Browne". The Met. Retrieved 25 August 2019.
  4. ^ Wilson, Eric (January 21, 2013). "A Fashion First for the Designer Thom Browne at the Inauguration". The New York Times. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
  5. ^ WWD: Moncler Gamme Bleu Men's RTW Fall 2009 (January 19, 2009)
  6. ^ "Thom Browne – Believe In Better Scarf". Team Joe Store. Retrieved 2020-09-09.
  7. ^ Spellings, Sarah (8 September 2020). "Joe Biden's "Believe in Better" Collection Brings Together 19 of America's Top Designers". Vogue. Retrieved 2020-09-09.
  8. ^ "Ermenegildo Zegna buys Thom Browne". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
  9. ^ a b c Paton, Elizabeth; Friedman, Vanessa (28 August 2018). "Ermenegildo Zegna buys Thom Browne in a bid for Younger Customers". The New York Times. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
  10. ^ Official site, ABOUT THOM BROWNE
  11. ^ Leland, John (29 April 2016). "How Andrew Bolton of Met Costume Institute Spends His Sundays". The New York Times.
  12. ^ Yaeger, Lynn (31 August 2013). "Thom Browne's Manhattan Apartment". Architectural Digest. Retrieved 18 May 2016.

External links[edit]