Thom Hatch is an award-winning, popular American author and novelist who specializes in the history of the American West, the American Civil War, and the Plains Indian Wars. [ Thom grew up on Grand Island, New York, and graduated from North Olmsted High School in North Olmsted, Ohio. He honorably served in the United States Marine Corps, including deployment to Vietnam for 13 months. He then became a columnist for the Erie, Pennsylvania, Times-News and worked as a radio announcer during the late 1960s. In 1975, he moved to Colorado where he writes books, contributes to national publications, such as American Heritage, America's Civil War, True West, and Western Horseman, as well as teaches school. He has served as consultant and appeared on screen as an expert commentator for History Channel and PBS documentaries--including "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" for PBS's The American Experience. He is regularly invited to speak at colleges, seminars, and civic and historic organizations. Hatch lives with his artist wife and teenage daughter in the rural West.
In 2005, Hatch's Black Kettle: The Cheyenne Chief Who Sought Peace But Found War received the Spur Award for literary excellence as the best biography of the year from the Western Writers of America.
His book, Glorious War: the Civil War Adventures of George Armstrong Custer, was released in December, 2013 by St. Martin's Press.
His current book, The Last Days of George Armstrong Custer; the True Story of the Battle of the Little Bighorn was released by St. Martin's Press on February 3, 2015.
His website: http://www.thomhatch.net
- The Last Days of George Armstrong Custer: the True Story of the Battle of the Little Bighorn. ISBN 9781250051028
- The Last Outlaws: The Lives and Legends of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. ISBN 978-0-451-23919-8
- Black Kettle : The Cheyenne Chief Who Sought Peace But Found War. ISBN 0-471-44592-4.
- The Blue, the Gray, & the Red: Indian Campaigns of the Civil War. ISBN 0-8117-0016-X.
- The Custer Companion. ISBN 0-8117-0477-7.
- Clashes of Cavalry. ISBN 0-8117-0356-8.
- Custer and the Battle of the Little Bighorn. ISBN 0-7864-0154-0.
- The Alamo and the Texas Revolution. ISBN 0-7864-0593-7.
- Osceola and the Great Seminole War. ISBN 978-0-312-35591-3
- Glorious War: The Civil War Adventures of George Armstrong Custer. St. Martin's Press. ISBN 9781250028501.
- "Grand Islanders in the News 2003", Grand Island News
- Reed, Bill. "Local author lassos Spur Award for his biography of Black Kettle", Colorado Springs Gazette (July 31, 2005)