Thomandersia is the sole genus in the Thomandersiaceae, an African family of flowering plants. Thomandersia is a genus of shrubs and small trees, with six species native to Central and West Africa.
Thomandersia traditionally has been classified within the family Acanthaceae based on morphology by several authors, including APG I 1998, APG II 2003, and in Schlegeliaceae at APG Website Missouri Botanical Garden, in a list of genera of this family, but Stevens argues further that should be considered out of this taxon by weak support and regarded Thomandersiaceae.
The genus was elevated to family status, previously by Sreemadhavan 1976  and 1977  on the basis of leaf anatomy and anther morphology, and more recently by Wortley et al. 2005  and 2007, based on phylogenetic analyses of genetic material.
- List of species
- Thomandersia anachoreta Heine - Liberia, Ivory Coast
- Thomandersia butayei De Wild. - Congo, Gabon, Zaire
- Thomandersia congolana De Wild. & T. Durand - Congo, Zaire, Cameroon, Eq Guinea
- Thomandersia hensii De Wild. & T. Durand - from Nigeria to Angola
- Thomandersia laurentii De Wild. - Congo, Zaire
- Thomandersia laurifolia (T. Anderson ex Benth.) Baill. - Nigeria, Congo, Zaire, Cameroon, Eq Guinea
- Tropicos, search for Scytanthus
- Tropicos, Thomandersia Baill.
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
- "Stevens, P. F. (2001 onwards). Angiosperm Phylogeny Website Version 7, May 2006". Missouri Botanical Garden. Retrieved 2007-08-09.
- Sreemadhavan, C. P. (1976). Leaf architecture and systematics of Acanthaceae and related families. Ph.D. thesis. Tampa, FL:University of South Florida.
- Sreemadhavan, C. P. (1977). Diagnosis of some new taxa and some new combinations in Bignoniales. Phytologia 37: 413–416.
- Wortley, A.H., Rudall, P. J., & Scotland, R.W. (2005). How much data are needed to resolve a difficult phylogeny? Case study in Lamiales. Systematic Biology 54: 697–709.
- Wortley, A.H., Harris, D.J. & Scotland, R.W.; Harris, D. J.; Scotland, R. W. (2007). "On the Taxonomy and Phylogenetic Position of Thomandersia.". Systematic Botany. 32 (2): 415–444. doi:10.1600/036364407781179716.
- Baillon, Henri Ernest. 1892. Histoire des Plantes 10: 456 in Latin
|This Lamiales article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|