Thomas Anton Kochan
|Thomas A. Kochan|
Thomas A. Kochan
|Born||September 28, 1947|
Thomas A. Kochan (born September 28, 1947) is a professor of industrial relations, work and employment. He is the George Maverick Bunker Professor of Management at the MIT Sloan School of Management, where he has been a faculty member since 1980.
In 2010, Kochan led the formation of the Employment Policy Research Network (EPRN), an online think tank on the subject of employment, a project of the Labor and Employment Relations Association, supported by the Rockefeller and Russell Sage foundations. The EPRN web site launched in January 2011 with 100 researchers from 35 universities, including MIT, Harvard, California-Berkeley, Columbia, Cornell, Illinois, Michigan State, Pennsylvania State University and UCLA.
He served as Chair of the MIT Faculty from 2009 to 2011. He came to MIT in 1980 as a Professor of Industrial Relations. From 1988 to 1991 he served as Head of the Behavioral and Policy Sciences Area in the Sloan School.
He has served as a third-party mediator, fact finder, and arbitrator and as a consultant to a variety of government and private sector organizations and labor-management groups.
Kochan focuses on the need to update America’s work and employment policies, institutions, and practices to catch up with a changing workforce and economy. Through empirical research, he demonstrates that fundamental changes in the quality of work and employment relations are needed to address America’s critical problems in industries ranging from healthcare to airlines to manufacturing.
- B.B.A., University of Wisconsin, 1969
- M.S., Industrial Relations, University of Wisconsin, 1971
- Ph.D., Industrial Relations, University of Wisconsin, 1973
- 1988 Recipient of the George Terry Scholarly Book Award from the Academy of Management for The Transformation of American Industrial Relations.
- 1992-1995 President, International Industrial Relations Research Association. (US Department of Labor)
- 1993 Appointed to Commission for the Future of Worker-Management Relations.
- 1996 Heneman Career Achievement Award, Academy of Management
- 1997 Elected Fellow of the National Academy of Human Resources.
- 1999 President of the Industrial Relations Research Association 
- 2009 Elected to National Academy of Arbitrators
- 2009 Guest Editor in Chief, Special Research Forum of the Academy of Management Journal on Management Research and Public Policy 
- 2010 Inaugural Fellow of the Labor and Employment Relations Association
- 2010 Academy of Management’s Scholar-Practitioner Award
- 2012 PhD Dissertation Award of the Labor & Employment Relations Assn. “named” in Kochan’s honor
- 2014 Honorary Doctor’s Degree from Sydney University
- 2015 Aspen Institute Pioneer Lifetime Achievement Award
- Working in America: Labor Market Institutions for the New Century. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2001. (With Paul Osterman, Richard Locke and Michael Piore).
- Restoring the American Dream: A Working Families’ Agenda for America, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, September 2005.
- “Who Should Close the Middle Skills Gap?” Harvard Business Review, December, 2012 (with David Finegold and Paul Osterman)
- “The American Jobs Crisis and its Implication for the Future of Employment Policy: A Call for a New Jobs Compact,” ILR Review, 66 (2) April, 2013. (Lead article).
- Shaping the Future of Work. Business Experts Press. Publication date, December, 2015.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Thomas Anton Kochan|
- MIT Faculty Entry. Accessed 20 July 2010
- Kochan, T.A. (September 2005). Restoring the American Dream: A Working Families' Agenda for America. MIT Press. ISBN 978-0-262-11292-5. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- "Shaping the Future of Work: What Future Worker, Business, Government, and Education Leaders Need To Do For All To Prosper". Business Expert Press.
- "Labor and Employment Relations Association - Home".
- "Shaping the Future of Work - Press Releases - MIT Sloan School of Management".
- "Labor and Employment Relations Association - About".
- "MIT History".
- "Prof. Thomas Kochan".
- "Thomas Kochan - Faculty - MIT Sloan School of Management".
- Witzel, Morgen (2005-05-15). Encyclopedia of History of American Management. A&C Black. pp. 308–310. ISBN 9781843711315.
- "Historical Award Winners".
- "Commission on the Future of Worker-Management Relations".
- Witzel, Morgen (2005-05-15). Encyclopedia of History of American Management. A&C Black. p. 310. ISBN 9781843711315.
- "An Introduction to Collective Bargaining & Industrial Relations Information Center: About the Authors". horizontal tab character in
|title=at position 85 (help)
- "Campus Snapshot - MIT Sloan Alumni Magazine".
- "Introduction to the Special Research Forum— Public Policy and Management Research: Finding the Common Ground".
- Emily Smith. "LERA Fellows".
- "Fisher College of Business - Professor, PhD candidate honored for top dissertation projects".
- "Leading industrial relations scholar granted honorary doctorate".
- "Working in America". MIT Press.
- "Restoring the American Dream". MIT Press.
- "Wages, Jobs, and Labor Markets".
- ""The American Jobs Crisis and Its Implication for the Future of Employm" by Thomas A. Kochan".