Thomas B. Fordham Institute
Logo of the Thomas B. Fordham Institute
|Type||Education policy think tank|
|Headquarters||1016 16th Street, NW|
|Michael J. Petrilli|
|Chester E. Finn, Jr.|
The Thomas B. Fordham Institute is an ideologically conservative American nonprofit education policy think tank, with offices in Washington, D.C., Columbus, Ohio, and Dayton, Ohio. The institute supports and publishes research on education policy in the US.
The Institute's namesake was a businessman and civic leader in Dayton, Ohio. His widow, Thelma Fordham Pruett, established the Thomas B. Fordham Foundation in 1959 to support a wide range of causes in the Dayton area. In 1997, following the death of Pruett, the Foundation was relaunched, with a narrowed focus on education. The Thomas B. Fordham Institute joined the Thomas B. Fordham Foundation in 2007. In 2013, the Associated Press described the organization as "conservative-leaning."
The headquarters of the think-tank operations are located in Washington, D.C. Led by Chester E. Finn, Jr. and Michael J. Petrilli, Fordham publishes and supports research on K-12 education across the nation. Additionally, Fordham staff and board members remain involved in organizations that support and develop quality schools.
Fordham-Ohio publishes research and does policy work in the Columbus office and serves as a community school sponsor in its Dayton office. The Thomas B. Fordham Foundation was approved in 2004 by the Ohio Department of Education—making it the first nonprofit organization in Ohio to acquire such a responsibility. Fordham continues to sponsor charter schools even though the recent data shows that many Ohio charter schools are failing.
Board of Trustees
- David P. Driscoll - Former Commissioner of Education Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Rod Paige - Former U.S. Secretary of Education (2001-2005)
- Thomas A. Holton, Esq. – Partner, Porter Wright Morris & Arthur
- Chester E. Finn, Jr. – President, Thomas B. Fordham Institute
- Michael W. Kelly - President and CEO, Central Park Credit Bank
- David H. Ponitz - President Emeritus, Sinclair Community College
- Stefanie Sanford - VP, Lobbying, College Board
- Caprice Young - Vice President for Education, Laura and John Arnold Foundation
- Craig Kennedy - German Marshall Fund of the United States
- Bruce Kovner - Caxton Alternative Management LP
- Chester E. Finn Esq. (1918-2007)
- Bruno V. Manno - Walton Family Foundation
- Diane Ravitch
- Fordham Institute Foundations Profile – National Center for Charitable Statistics (Urban Institute)
- Inside Gov
- Elliott, Philip (June 17, 2013). "Report: Too many teachers, too little quality". The Boston Globe. The New York Times Company. Associated Press. Archived from the original on June 24, 2013. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- http://dianeravitch.net/2013/09/24/the-failure-of-charter-schools-in-ohio-7-billion-later/. Missing or empty
- http://innovationohio.org/2013/08/26/new-state-report-cards-show-charter-schools-underperform/. Missing or empty
- http://www.edexcellence.net/about-us/board-of-trustees.html. Missing or empty