Thomas Badger (1792–1868) was an artist in Boston, Massachusetts, in the 19th-century. He specialized in portraits. He trained with John Ritto Penniman. Portrait subjects included: John Abbot; William Allen, of Bowdoin College; Asa Clapp; Julia Margaretta Dearborn; George B. Doane; Henry Wadsworth Longfellow; Benjamin Page; Thomas Paul, of Boston's African Meeting House; Jotham Sewall; Benjamin Vaughan; Charles Vaughan; Frances Western Apthorp Vaughan; George Wadsworth Wells; Jonathan Winship. Around 1849 a still life by Badger in the collection of the Boston Museum was considered "a highly finished and excellent picture, something in the style of Van Huysom. There is a truth and reality in the articles represented, seldom seen in this class of pictures."
He married Rebecca Melendy (1795–1852); children included George Washington (died at age 16 in 1853). He was also related to the portrait artist Joseph Badger. He died of "lung fever" in Cambridge in 1868. Works by Badger are in the collections of the Boston Athenaeum; Maine Historical Society; Colby College; the Brick Store Museum and Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.
- Boston Directory. 1823.
- Boston Almanac. 1841, 1847.
- Chrystler Museum of Art. Retrieved 6 February 2010
- Engraving of John Abbot, M.A., Professor of Ancient Languages &c in Bowdoin College. In: History of Bowdoin College. Boston : Published by James Ripley Osgood and Co., 1882. Drawn by T.Badger; engraved by J.C.Buttre.
- Maine Historical Society
- Engraving of Asa Clapp in Merchants Magazine, 1848. Drawn by Badger.
- Portland Museum of Art, Maine. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- Engraving of George B. Doane, M.D., by John Cheney after Thomas Badger. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.
- Lithograph of Benjn. Page, M.D. Boston: W. Sharp and Co’s Lith., c. 1846. "Badger pinxt." Boston Athenaeum.
- Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery. Retrieved 6 February 2010
- Lithograph of Sewall. Boston: B.W. Thayer & Co. "Thos. Badger pinxt." "R. Cooke, del."
- Vaughan Homestead Foundation
- Lithograph of George W. Wells. Boston: Bouvé and Sharp Lithrs., c. 1844. "Painted by Badger ; drawn on stone by W. Sharp." Boston Athenaeum.
- Brighton-Allston Historical Society
- Catalogue of the paintings, portraits, marble and plaster statuary, engravings and water color drawings: in the collection of the Boston Museum, together with a descriptive sketch of the institution, and general summary of the natural history specimens, curiosities, etc. Boston: Marden, 1849; p.4.
- Farmers Cabinet (Amherst, NH), 15 Nov. 1852.
- Farmers' Cabinet, 11-24-1853.
- "Harris Antiques, New Orleans".
- Farmers Cabinet (Amherst, NH), 6 Feb. 1868.
- Doyle New York. Retrieved 6 February 2010
- Thomas Badger: Portrait of an American Painter. Kennebunk, Maine: Brick Store Museum, 1993.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thomas Badger.|