Thomas Beaufort, Count of Perche
|Count of Perche|
|Father||John Beaufort, 1st Earl of Somerset|
|Died||2 October 1431 (aged 26)
With his elder brother, Henry Beaufort, 2nd Earl of Somerset, Thomas joined in Henry V's 1419 campaigns in France. In 1421, he accompanied the king's younger brother Thomas of Lancaster to the fighting in Anjou. Lancaster was killed at the Battle of Baugé while Somerset and Thomas were captured. Thomas was eventually released around 1427 in a prisoner exchange negotiated by his uncle, Cardinal Beaufort.
As an able male member of the Beaufort family, Thomas rejoined the fighting almost immediately. He was granted the title Count of Perche in December 1427, his title being more a claim to land, rather than a recognized title since it was already held by the French Duke John II of Alençon. This was part of a continuing attempt by Cardinal Beaufort to carve out estates for his nephews from conquered French land. During the 1430 royal coronation expedition of Henry VI, Thomas was granted a retinue of 128 soldiers and 460 archers. He commanded soldiers at a battle at La Charité-sur-Loire in late 1430 and died 3 October 1431 at the siege of Louviers, three weeks before the city's fall.
Perche died unmarried and childless. Upon his death, his title was extinct.
|Ancestors of Thomas Beaufort, Count of Perche|
- Harriss, G.L. Cardinal Beaufort: A Study of Lancastrian Ascendancy and Decline. Oxford: Clarendon, 1988.
- Brown 2004.
- Weir 2008, p. 232.
- Weir 2008, p. 92.
- Weir 2008, p. 93.
- Marshall 2003, p. 50.
- Weir 2007, p. 6.
- Weir 2008, p. 125.
- Browning 1898, p. 288.
- Weir 2008, pp. 94–95.
- Weir 2008, pp. 94, 125.
- Weir 2008, pp. 97, 104.
- Weir 2008, p. 77.
- Brown, M.H. (2004). "Joan [Joan Beaufort] (d. 1445)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/14646. Retrieved 21 November 2013. (subscription required)
- Browning, Charles H. (1898). The Magna Carta Barons and Their American Descendants. London: Genealogical Publishing Company.
- Marshall, Rosalind (2003). Scottish Queens, 1034-1714. Tuckwell Press.
- Weir, Alison (2008). Britain's Royal Families, The Complete Genealogy. London: Vintage Books. ISBN 978-0-09-953973-5.
- Weir, Alison (2007). Mistress of the Monarchy: The Life of Katherine Swynford, Duchess of Lancaster. London: Random House. ISBN 978-0-345-45323-5.
|New creation||Count of Perche
Contested with John II of Alençon