Bottomore was Secretary of the International Sociological Association from 1953 to 1959. He was a prolific editor and translator of Marxist works, notably his collections published in 1963: Marx's Early Writings and Selected Writings in Sociology and Social Philosophy.
He was Reader in Sociology at the London School of Economics from 1952 to 1964. He was head of the Department of Political Science, Sociology and Anthropology at Simon Fraser University, Vancouver from 1965 to 1967, leaving after a dispute over academic freedom. He was Professor of Sociology at the University of Sussex from 1968 to 1985.
Bottomore edited and contributed to numerous journals of sociology and political science, and edited A Dictionary of Marxist Thought in 1983 and co-edited (with William Outhwaite) The Blackwell Dictionary of Twentieth century Social Thought published posthumously in 1993.
Bottomore was a member of the British Labour Party.
This article lacks ISBNs for the books listed in it. (November 2010)
- Classes in Modern Society (London: Ampersand, 1955; London: George Allen & Unwin, 1965)
- Marx: Selected Writings in Sociology & Social Philosophy (London: Watts, 1956; Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1963) editor with Maximilien Rubel
- Sociology: A Guide to Problems & Literature (London: George Allen & Unwin, 1962)
- Early Writings of Karl Marx (London: Watts, 1963) editor and translator
- Elites and Society (London: Watts, 1964; Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1966; Harmondsworth: Penguin. 1967; New York: Penguin, 1970 )
- Critics of Society: Radical Thought in North America (London: George Allen & Unwin, 1967)
- Karl Marx (1969)
- Karl Marx (1973) editor
- Sociology as Social Criticism (1975)
- Marxist Sociology (1975)
- A History of Sociological Analysis (1979) editor with Robert Nisbet
- Modern Interpretations of Marx (1981) editor, ISBN 0-631-18040-0
- Georg Simmel - The Philosophy of Money (1982) translator with David Frisby
- A Dictionary of Marxist Thought (1983) editor
- Sociology and Socialism (1984)
- Theories of Modern Capitalism (1985)
- Interpretations of Marx (1988) editor
- The Capitalist Class: An International Study (1989) with Robert J. Brym
- The Socialist Economy-Theory and Practice (1990)
- Between Marginalism and Marxism: The Economic Sociology of J A Schumpeter (1992)
- The Frankfurt School (Routledge 1995)
- Platt, Jennifer; Outhwaite, William. "Bottomore, Thomas Burton". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/50842.(Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
| President of the British Sociological Association
|This biography of a British sociologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|