Thomas Brand, 3rd Viscount Hampden
The Viscount Hampden
|Born||29 January 1869|
|Died||4 September 1958(aged 89)|
|Years of service||1889–1919|
|Commands held||185th (2/1st West Riding) Brigade (1916–18)
126th (East Lancashire) Brigade (1915–16)
1st Battalion Hertfordshire Regiment (1913–15)
|Awards||Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order
Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath
Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George
Knight of the Order of St John
Mentioned in Despatches (9)
Legion of Honour (France)
Marriage and family
On 29 April 1899, he married Lady Katharine Mary Montagu-Douglas-Scott (a daughter of the 6th Duke of Buccleuch) and they had eight children.
Brand served as an officer in the Hertfordshire Regiment, and as commanding officer of the 1st Battalion from February 1913. Following the outbreak of the First World War, the Hertfordshires were deployed to the Western Front and Brand remained in command until January 1915. Subsequently, he was promoted to brigadier general and appointed to command the 126th (East Lancashire) Brigade at Gallipoli and later the 185th (2/1st West Riding) Brigade at the Battle of Cambrai and the battles of 1918. Between 1935 and 1939, he was Colonel of the 10th Royal Hussars.
- ‘HAMPDEN’, Who Was Who, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 1920–2016; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2014
-  Hertfordshire Regiment in the Great War
- Maj A.F. Becke,History of the Great War: Order of Battle of Divisions, Part 2a: the Territorial Force Mounted Divisions and the 1st-Line Territoral Force Divisions (42–56), London: HM Stationery Office, 1935/Uckfield: Naval & Military Press, 2007, ISBN 1-847347-39-8.
- Maj A.F. Becke,History of the Great War: Order of Battle of Divisions, Part 2b: the 2nd-Line Territorial Force Divisions (57th–69th), with the Home Service Divisions (71st–73rd) and 74th and 75th Divisions, London: HM Stationery Office, 1937/Uckfield: Naval & Military Press, 2007, ISBN 1-847347-39-8.
- Horace A. Laffaye, Polo in Britain: A History, Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, 2012, p. 37
The Viscount Byng of Vimy
|Colonel of the 10th Royal Hussars
(Prince of Wales's Own)
The Earl of Clarendon
|Lord Lieutenant of Hertfordshire
Sir David Bowes-Lyon
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|This biography of a viscount in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|