Thomas C. Holt
Thomas Cleveland Holt (born November 30, 1942) is James Westfall Thompson Professor of American and African American History at the University of Chicago; he has produced a number of works on the people and descendants of the African Diaspora.
A past president of the American Historical Association, Holt was a Fellow of the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation and the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars from 1987 to 1988. Holt became a John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Fellow in 1990. In 1994, President Bill Clinton named Holt to the National Council on Humanities. He was elected a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2003. Holt was a Citigroup Fellow at the American Academy in Berlin, Germany, for fall 2008. In 1978 Holt was awarded the Southern Historical Association's Charles S. Sydnor Prize for his first book, Black Over White.
- The Problem of Freedom: Race, Labor, and Politics in Jamaica and Britain, 1832-1938, (Johns Hopkins University Press) in 1992, which won the Elsa Goveia Prize awarded by the Association of Caribbean Historians.
- Black Over White: Negro Political Leadership in South Carolina During Reconstruction (University of Illinois Press).
- "Nathan I. Huggins Lectures", The Problem of Race in the 21st Century (Harvard University Press) 2000
- Beyond Slavery: Explorations of Race, Labor, and Citizenship in Postemancipation Societies, Authors Frederick Cooper, Thomas Cleveland Holt, Rebecca Jarvis Scott, UNC Press, 2000, ISBN 978-0-8078-4854-8.
- Children of Fire: a History of African Americans (Hill & Wang) 2010
- Thomas C. Holt biography, The University of Chicago.
- Thomas C. Holt, Department of History, The University of Chicago.
- Thomas C. Holt.
- "Holt, Thomas Cleveland", Reports of the President and of the Treasurer, John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, 1988, p. 53.
- John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, Fellows List
- "Holt named to National Council on Humanities", University of Chicago Chronicle, Vol. 14, No. 2, August 18, 1994.
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Class of 2003 - Fellows
- American Academy in Berlin, Citigroup Fellow Class of Fall 2008: Thomas Holt
- "Awards — The Charles S. Sydnor Award", The Southern Historical Association.
- Faculty Profile on the University of Chicago's website.
- Presidential Address at the American Historical Association.
- Guy Emerson Mount, "When Scholars Cry: Celebrating The Career Of Thomas C. Holt", AAIHS.