|Bishop of Ljubljana|
November 13, 1560|
February 10, 1630 (aged 69)|
Life and work
Chrön was born in Ljubljana. In 1573 he enrolled in the Jesuit school in Graz. He was ordained in 1588, when he was also appointed to the canon's position formerly held by Primož Trubar. In 1597 he was appointed bishop of Ljubljana, and the appointment was confirmed in 1599. He was the leading force behind the Counter-Reformation in Carniola, and Protestantism was suppressed in his diocese between 1600 and 1603. However, Jurij Dalmatin's Bible translation was retained and he received papal permission to use it, thereby preserving its linguistic and literary tradition. From 1614 to 1621 he served as the deputy provincial sovereign.
Chrön wanted to establish a press in Ljubljana; he made it possible for Johannes Tschandek (Slovene: Janez Čandek or Čandik) to print the gospels and epistles (Evangelia inu listuvi, 1613), and he copyedited the text himself, which was based on translations by Trubar and Dalmatin. He established the Collegium Marianum in Gornji Grad for the education of clergy. Chrön also supported liturgical music: he commissioned a new organ in Gornji Grad.
Chrön died in Gornji Grad, where he was also buried.
- Herzog, Johann Jakob, Albert Hauck, & Hermann Caselmann. 1909. Realencyklopädie für protestantische Theologie und Kirche. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs, p. 86.
- Rozman, Jožef. 1853. Drobtince za Novo leto 1853. Klagenfurt: author, p. 236.
- Cankar, Izidor et al., eds. 1928. Slovenski bijografski leksikon, vol. 3: Hintner–Kocen. Ljubljana: Zadružna gospodarska banka.
- Rajhman, Jože, & Emilijan Cevc. 1990. Tomaž Hren. Enciklopedija Slovenije, vol. 4, pp. 50–51. Ljubljana: Mladinska knjiga.
- Bogoslovni vestnik 8 (1928): 21.
- Lutar Ivanc, Aleksandra. 2006. Album slovenskih književnikov. Ljubljana: Mladinska knjiga, p 14.
- Janež, Stanko. 1957. Zgodovina slovenske knjizevnosti: Druga, predelana izdaja s sodelovanjem miroslava ravbarja. Maribor: Obzorja, p. 110.
- Ahačič, Kozma. 2012. Zgodovina misli o jeziku na Slovenskem: katoliška doba (1600-1758). Ljubljana: ZRC, p. 18.
- Snoj, Jurij, et al. 2012. Zgodovina glasbe na Slovenskem I: Od začetkov do konca 16. stoletja. Ljubljana: ZRC, p. 426.
- Škulj, Edo. 1998. Hrenov simpozij v Rimu. Ljubljana: Mohorjeva družba, p. 81.
- Media related to Thomas Chrön at Wikimedia Commons