Thomas Coke, 2nd Earl of Leicester
|The Earl of Leicester|
Thomas Coke, second Earl of Leicester, by Leslie Ward, 1883.
|Born||26 December 1822|
|Died||24 January 1909(aged 86)|
|Term||30 June 1842 – 24 January 1909|
Leicester was the son of Thomas Coke, 1st Earl of Leicester, by his second wife Lady Anne Amelia Keppel. He succeeded in the earldom on his father's death in 1842.
Lord Leicester served as Lord-Lieutenant of Norfolk from 1846 to 1906 and was a member of the Council of the Duchy of Cornwall and Keeper of the Privy Seal. In 1873 he was made a Knight of the Garter.
- Lady Julia Coke (1844–1931), married Mervyn Wingfield, 7th Viscount Powerscourt, and had issue.
- Lady Anne Coke (1845–1876), married Maj.-Gen. Edmund Manningham-Buller, son of Sir Edward Manningham-Buller, 1st Baronet, and had issue.
- Lady Gertrude Coke (1847–1943), married Charles Murray, 7th Earl of Dunmore, and had issue.
- Thomas William Coke, 3rd Earl of Leicester (1848–1941)
- Lady Mary Coke (1849–1929), married William Legge, 6th Earl of Dartmouth, and had issue.
- Lady Winifred Coke (1851–1940), married Robert Clements, 4th Earl of Leitrim, and had issue.
- Lady Margaret Coke (1852–1922), married Henry Strutt, 2nd Baron Belper, and had issue.
- Lady Mildred Coke (1854–1941), married Thomas Anson, 3rd Earl of Lichfield, and had issue.
- Lt.-Col. Wenman Coke (1855–1931), died unmarried.
Lord Leicester married secondly, the honourable Georgina Cavendish, daughter of William Cavendish, 2nd Baron Chesham, on 26 August 1875. They had six children:
- Major Hon. Richard Coke (1876–1964), married Hon. Doreen O'Brian, daughter of Edward O'Brien, 14th Baron of Inchiquin, and had issue.
- Lieutenant-Colonel Hon. Edward Coke (1879–1944), died unmarried.
- Hon. Sir John Spencer Coke (1880–1957), married Hon. Dorothy Lawson, daughter of Harry Lawson, 1st Viscount Burnham, and had issue.
- Captain Hon. Reginald Coke (1883–1969), married Katherine Ryder, granddaughter of Henry Ryder, 4th Earl of Harrowby, and had issue.
- Commander Hon. Lovel William Coke (1893–1966), died unmarried.
- Mabel Coke (c. 1895–1967), married James Luddington.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Lundy, Darryl. "FAQ". The Peerage.[unreliable source?]
- CricketArchive: Earl of Leicester
The Lord Wodehouse
|Lord-Lieutenant of Norfolk
The Lord Templemore
|Father of the House of Lords
The Earl Nelson
Herbert William Fisher
|Chancellor of the Duchy of Cornwall
The Earl Spencer
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Earl of Leicester