Thomas Cromwell, 1st Earl of Ardglass
|Thomas Cromwell, 1st Earl of Ardglass|
11 June 1594
|Died||20 November 1653 (aged 58–59)
|Resting place||Tickencote, Rutland|
|Other titles||1st Viscount Lecale
4th Baron Cromwell
|Known for||English nobleman|
|Successor||Wingfield Cromwell, 2nd Earl of Ardglass|
Wingfield Cromwell, 2nd Earl of Ardglass
Vere Essex Cromwell, 4th Earl of Ardglass
|Parents||Edward Cromwell, 3rd Baron Cromwell
A supporter of King Charles I of England during the Civil War, he was his Commander of the Regiment of Horse (Ireland), and for his service he was created 1st Earl of Ardglass, in the Peerage of Ireland, on 15 April 1645. He subsequently made his peace with the Parliament by paying £460 for his "delinquency".
Marriage and issue
He married Elizabeth Meverell (died 1651), daughter and heiress of Robert Meverell of Ilam, Staffordshire, and of Throwleigh, Staffordshire (died 5 February 1627/1628) and Elizabeth Fleming, both buried at Blore, Staffordshire, the daughter of Sir Thomas Fleming, Lord Chief Justice of the King's Bench, and had three children:
- Mary Cromwell (died 8 April 1676), married as his first wife William FitzHerbert, of Tissington, Derbyshire (1624/1629 – 24 June 1697), who married secondly Anne Breton, widow of John Parker, of London, and daughter of Richard Breton, of Elmesthorpe, Leicestershire, without any male issue
- Wingfield Cromwell, 2nd Earl of Ardglass (12 September 1624 – 3 October 1668)
- Vere Essex Cromwell, 4th Earl of Ardglass (2 October 1625 – 26 November 1687)
- Burke, Bernard (1967). Townsend, Peter, ed. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage (104th ed.). London: Burke's Peerage Ltd.
- Burke, Bernard (2003). Mosley, Charles, ed. Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage. 1 (107th ed.). Wilmington: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd. p. 1438. ISBN 0971196621.
- Burke, Bernard (1866). A Genealogical History of the Dormant, Abeyant, Forfeited and Extinct Peerages of the British Empire. London: Harrison.
- Burke, John; Burke, John Bernard (1844). A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies of England, Ireland, and Scotland (2nd ed.). John Russell Smith.
- Cokayne, G. E. (1983). Complete Baronetage. I. Gloucester: Alan Sutton Publishing.
- Cokayne, G. E. (1910). Gibbs, Vicary, ed. The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant. I. London: St. Catherine Press.
- Cokayne, G. E. (1913). Gibbs, Vicary, ed. The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom. III. London: St. Catherine Press.
- Cokayne, G. E. (2000). Gibbs, Vicary, ed. The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom. I. Gloucester: Alan Sutton Publishing. pp. 192–193.
- Lee, Sidney (1888). "Cromwell, Edward". In Stephen, Leslie. Dictionary of National Biography. 13. London: Smith, Elder & Co. p. 151.
- Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Ardglass Family Tree
|Peerage of Ireland|
|Earl of Ardglass
|Peerage of England|