Thomas Donnelly (writer)
Thomas Donnelly (born June 13, 1953) is a research fellow at the American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research (AEI). Donnelly is a writer, an analyst of military affairs and defense, national security and foreign policy and the author of AEI's National Security Outlook. He has been a Director at the Lockheed Martin Corporation on strategic communications and initiatives since 2002. He was Deputy Executive Director of the Project for the New American Century (PNAC) from 1999 to 2002.
He is now a resident fellow and co-director with Gary Schmitt of the American Enterprise Institute’s Marilyn Ware Center for Security Studies launched in 2012.
He began his career as a journalist at his family's Journal newspapers in the Washington, D.C. area in 1978. Two years later he began working at Army Times. In 1985, he helped to launch Defense News and became its Deputy Editor (1984–1987). He returned to Army Times and served as editor from 1987 to 1993. During his tenure he redesigned the paper and oversaw writing on Operation Just Cause in Panama, the First Gulf War, and the mission to Somalia. He became executive editor of The National Interest on 1994 and remained for one year.
In 1995 he moved on to become a professional staff member at the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on National Security (now the Committee on Armed Services). He was appointed Director of the Policy Group of the Committee, a post which he held from 1996 to 1999. He was the principal author of Rebuilding America's Defenses: Strategy, Forces and Resources for a New Century published by PNAC in September 2000.
He and his wife have two sons.
- Lessons for a Long War: How America Can Win on New Battlefields (AEI, 2010) Frederick W. Kagan
- Ground Truth: The Future of U.S. Land Power (AEI, 2008), coauthored with Frederick W. Kagan
- Of Men and Materiel: The Crisis in Military Resources (AEI, 2007), coedited with Gary J. Schmitt
- The Military We Need (AEI, 2005);
- Operation Iraqi Freedom: A Strategic Assessment (2004)
- Clash of Chariots: A History of Armored Warfare, Berkeley Books, 1996
- Operation Just Cause: The Storming of Panama, Lexington Books, 1991