Thomas Edison High School of Technology
|Thomas Edison High School of Technology|
|12501 Dalewood Dr.
Silver Spring, Maryland
|Type||Public Secondary Vocational|
|School district||Montgomery County Public Schools|
|Website||Thomas Edison Homepage|
Thomas Edison High School of Technology (often referred to as Thomas Edison or Edison) is a public vocational/technical high school located in Wheaton, an unincorporated section of Montgomery County, Maryland. It is physically connected to Wheaton High School.
Edison is a member of the Downcounty Consortium. The school is unique compared to other Montgomery County Public Schools. All programs consist of an academic base, industry competency requirements, employability skill development and career/college planning components, as well as opportunities for leadership development. Thomas Edison registers all students who are enrolled in the career and technical student organization, SkillsUSA.
A typical day for students is to spend half of their day at Thomas Edison, and the other half at their home school. Thomas Edison offers two sessions: the morning session from 7:45 AM to 10:15 AM, and the afternoon session from 11:00 AM to 1:30 PM.
Thomas Edison is also the headquarters for the Montgomery County Students Trades Foundations Office.
Thomas Edison offers nineteen programs for students to choose from. Courses take one, two or three years to complete, depending on the curriculum.
One year programs
- Foundations of Building and Construction
- Academy of Hospitality and Tourism
- Nail Technology
- Network Operations
- Medical Careers 
Two year programs
- Automotive Body Repair Technology
- Automotive Technology
- Construction Electricity
- Foundations of Automotive Technology
- Interior Design∞
- Print Technologies & Digital Graphics
- Principles of Architecture & CAD Technologies
- Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning
- Restaurant Management
Three year programs
For the 2012-2013 school year, Thomas Edison has a total of 650 enrolled students, 65.8% male and 34.2% female. The student body is 39.9% Hispanic, 27.1% African American, 22.9% Caucasian, 10.0% Asian, and 0.2% American Indian.
- "Thomas Edison HS of Tech at a Glance (PDF)" (PDF).
- http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_pnav/is_200306/ai_3437490503. Missing or empty
- Thomas Edison High School of Technology website
- Washington Post reports on the Thomas Edison High School home building program