Thomas Embling Hospital
|Thomas Embling Hospital|
|Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health (Forensicare)|
|Location||Fairfield, Victoria, Australia|
|Lists||Hospitals in Australia|
Thomas Embling Hospital is a high security forensic mental health hospital located in Fairfield, an inner Melbourne suburb in Victoria, Australia. The facility is operated by the Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health, known as Forensicare, who are responsible for providing adult forensic mental health services in Victoria.
The hospital was purpose built with 116 secure beds and opened in April 2000. It functions as both a prison service and a hospital service, providing advanced clinical treatment and programs for both male and female occupants.
The hospital is named after Thomas Embling, an English born doctor, who emigrated to Australia and was appointed Resident Medical Officer at the Yarra Bend Lunatic Asylum.
Patients are usually admitted from the criminal justice system, either via prison transfer or from a court order for psychiatric treatment.
In February 2015, a patient who had stabbed her boyfriend 17 times, was allowed unescorted leave, and failed to return to the hospital.  She was found safe and well and returned by police the following day.
In May 2014, a patient who was found not guilty of murder due to mental impairment was allowed an unsupervised leave for a day did not return on time. He was found and taken into custody peacefully the next day.
In December 2012, the body of a patient was found dead within the hospital.
In November 2009, a patient fatally stabbed two fellow inmates.
- "Forensicare". Victorian Government. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "High Security Hospital Opens for Mentally Ill Offenders" (Press release). Australia: Government of Victoria. July 2000. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- "Thomas Embling Hospital". Forensicare. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "Patient Lee Bartel missing from Thomas Embling Hospital, Fairfield". Herald Sun. 25 Feb 2015.
- "Police find mental hospital escapee safe and well in Dandenong". The Age. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Man who killed father escapes from Melbourne mental health hospital". The Age. 2 May 2014.
- "Psychiatric patient escapes". The Age. 23 March 2013.
- "Escaped patient returns to criminal hospital". The Age. 25 March 2013.
- "Police probe hospital body find". The Age. 27 December 2012.
- "Killer back to hospital". The Age. 29 September 2011.