Thomas G. Miller
|Thomas G. Miller|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1973–2011|
|Commands held||U.S. First Army
United States Army in Japan
Director of Operations-US Forces Iraq
|Awards||Defense Distinguished Service Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
Defense Superior Service Medal (one oak leaf cluster)
Legion of Merit (four oak leaf clusters)
Meritorious Service Medal (six oak leaf clusters)
Lieutenant General Thomas G. Miller was a senior General Officer in the United States Army and the former commander of the First United States Army. As head of the First Army, Miller was responsible for the training, readiness and mobilization of National Guard and Army Reserve units in all U.S. states and territories as they prepare for deployment as needed by U.S. combat commanders globally. He is the son of the late Colonel William H. Miller(R), who served in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam.
Miller was commissioned in 1973 as an Infantry Officer after graduating from the University of Southern Mississippi as a Distinguished Military Graduate. He has served primarily with Infantry, Special Forces and Airborne units. This included assignments in the 7th Special Forces Group, 82d Airborne Division, 101st Airborne Division, 10th Mountain Division and the 25th Infantry Division. Additionally he served overseas in Iraq, Kuwait, Haiti, Hawaii, Korea, and Japan. Prior to commanding the First Army, he served as the Director of Operations for FORSCOM and in Iraq as the Director of Operations for CJTF-7, and later as the Director of Strategic Operations for Multinational Forces Iraq. Miller is also a graduate of the Army War College and holds a Master of Science in Management.
Decorations and medals
- Distinguish Service Medal with oak leaf cluster (2 awards)
- Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster (2 awards)
- Legion of Merit with four oak leaf clusters (5 awards)
- Bronze Star Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters (7 awards)
·Among many others--
Tabs and badges
Among many others--
- "LTG Thomas Miller". The University of Southern Mississippi. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- Frazier, Lindsey (May 17, 2008). "First Army commander visits KFOR10". U.S. Military. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- Rodesky-Flores, Danette (2010-09-28). "First Army conducts Commander's and Family Delegate conference". Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "First Army move on track". US Army. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thomas G. Miller.|