Thomas G. Nelson
|Thomas George Nelson|
|Senior Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit|
November 14, 2003 – May 4, 2011
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit|
October 17, 1990 – November 14, 2003
|Appointed by||George H. W. Bush|
|Preceded by||J. Blaine Anderson|
|Succeeded by||N. Randy Smith|
Thomas George Nelson|
November 14, 1936
Idaho Falls, Idaho
May 4, 2011 (aged 74)|
|Resting place||Idaho State Veterans Cemetery, Boise, Idaho|
|Education||University of Idaho College of Law (LL.B.)|
Thomas George Nelson (November 14, 1936 – May 4, 2011) was a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Education and career
Born and raised in Idaho Falls, Idaho, Nelson graduated from Idaho Falls High School on 1955 and attended the University of Idaho in Moscow. He was a member of Delta Tau Delta fraternity, and received a Bachelor of Laws from its College of Law in 1962. Nelson served as assistant state attorney general and chief deputy state attorney general from 1963 to 1965. He was in the United States Army Reserve from 1965 to 1968 and was in private practice of law in Twin Falls from 1965 to 1990.
Federal judicial service
In 1990, Nelson was nominated to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit by President George H. W. Bush on July 18 for the seat vacated by the death of J. Blaine Anderson in 1988. Nelson was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on October 12 and received his commission on October 17, 1990. He was on the bench for thirteen years when he assumed senior status on November 14, 2003.
- "Nelson, Thomas G. - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Delta Tau Delta". Gem of the Mountains, University of Idaho yearbook. 1958. p. 311.
- "Bench and Bar". Gem of the Mountains, University of Idaho yearbook. 1962. p. 194.
- Schmidt, Mitchell (2011-05-06). "Nelson, federal judge from Idaho, has died at 74". San Jose Mercury News. Associated Press. Retrieved 2011-05-18.
- "Thomas G. Nelson obituary". Idaho Statesman. legacy.com. 2011-05-10. Retrieved 2011-05-18.
- FJC Bio
- Thomas G. Nelson at Find a Grave
J. Blaine Anderson
| Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
N. Randy Smith