Thomas Goode (tableware)
Front of the premises on South Audley Street
|Address||South Audley Street|
|Town or city||London|
|Construction started||1827 (business)
1845 (this premises)
Thomas Goode is a china, silverware and glass shop at 19 South Audley Street in Mayfair, London. It has been described as "the ultimate shopping experience for your selection of china, glassware [or] silver" and holds two royal warrants to supply the British royal household, one from Queen Elizabeth II and the other from the Prince of Wales. Since 1995, the shop has been owned by the Liberal Democrat peer Rumi Verjee.
The shop was established in 1827 by Thomas Goode, and expanded by his son William. The younger Goode travelled extensively to find appropriate porcelain and china for the shop, which resulted in several notable customers including Queen Victoria and the Tsar of Russia. The store moved to its current site in 1845. In 1875 its showroom was redesigned by the architect Ernest George.
The Thomas Goode Elephants
As part of The Paris Exhibition in 1889 Minton pottery was commissioned to create two, seven feet tall majolica elephants to display. These elephants are now on display in the windows of Thomas Goode.
- "Thomas Goode Mayfair Luxury Goods, London W1 Luxury Goods Mayfair". Mayfair-london.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- Gershman, Suzy (2008). Suzy Gershman's Born to Shop London: The Ultimate Guide for People Who Love to Shop. John Wiley & Sons. pp. 220–221. ISBN 9780470370988.
- "Caverswall & Thomas Goode hold Royal Warrants for the supply of China to the Royal Family". City-of-london.com. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- "A philanthropist’s passion for success". Asiantimesonline.co.uk. 2013-02-15. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- Alibhai, Yasmin (2012-08-24). "Starting over". FT.com. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- "Thomas Goode". LUX Worldwide. 1978-01-06. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- "Mayfair". London-footprints.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- Insight Guides London. APA Publications UK. 2007. p. 117. ISBN 9789812586209.
- "The History of Thomas Goode". Thomasgoode.com. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- "Thomas Goode's Elephants - Discovering London". Peterberthoud.co.uk. 2011-03-30. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- "Glazed and Confused: Elephants vs. Donkeys, Part 1". Etruscanmajolica.blogspot.co.uk. 2012-08-03. Retrieved 2013-08-14.
- "Jeanette Manchester Harris: And Speaking of Elephants, Here's some Reeealy Big Elephants". Jeanetteharrisblog.blogspot.co.uk. 2007-12-06. Retrieved 2013-08-14.