CC, O.Ont, KSS
|President and vice-chancellor of Trent University|
|Born||Thomas Henry Bull Symons
May 30, 1929
|Children||Mary, Ryerson and Jeffery|
Born in Toronto, Ontario, he is the son of Harry Lutz Symons and Dorothy Sarah Bull, and the brother of Scott Symons. He attended Upper Canada College until 1942, and graduated from the University of Toronto Schools. He subsequently studied at the University of Toronto (B.A. 1951), Oxford (B.A. 1953, M.A. 1957) and Harvard University.
He is the chairperson of the Peterborough Lakefield Community Police Service.
On August 17, 1963, he married Christine Ryerson. They had three children: Mary, Ryerson and Jeffery.
His contributions to university leadership, Canadian studies, Commonwealth studies, United World Colleges, the Association of Commonwealth Universities, and other fields has been discussed in Ralph Heintzman (ed), Tom Symons: A Canadian Life, published by University of Ottawa Press. His leadership in universities and in Commonwealth Studies is discussed in Donald Markwell, "Instincts to Lead": On Leadership, Peace, and Education (Connor Court, 2013).
- Meta Incognita: A Discourse of Discovery - Martin Frobisher's Arctic Expeditions, 1576 - 1578 (1999)
- To Know Ourselves: The report of the commission on Canadian studies (1975)
- In 1976 he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada and was promoted to Companion in 1997.
- In 1977 he was made a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
- In 1981 he received an honorary doctorate from Concordia University.
- In 1984 he received the Award of Merit from the Association for Canadian Studies.
- In 1998 he received the Governor General's International Award for Canadian Studies.
- In 2002 he was awarded the Order of Ontario.
- In 2012 he was made a Knight of the Order of St. Sylvester
- In 2012 he received the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
- He is an Honorary Fellow of Oriel College, Oxford.
- "His life was his art. Alas, it was not a masterpiece". The Globe and Mail, February 27, 2009.
- https://books.google.com/books?id=VDDfROq_QeMC&lpg=PA12&dq=Tom%20Symons%3A%20A%20Canadian%20Life%20uts&pg=PA12#v=onepage&q=Tom%20Symons:%20A%20Canadian%20Life%20uts&f=false. Missing or empty
- "Thomas H.B. Symons fonds". Trent University.
- Peterson, Alexander Duncan Campbell (2003 - 2nd Ed.) Schools Across Frontiers: The Story of the International Baccalaureate and the United World Colleges https://books.google.com/books?id=nTUjMNjNo3EC&lpg=RA1-PA172&dq=Tom%20Symons&pg=RA1-PA172
- "Message from the Chair".
- "Fellows". Royal Society of Canada.
- "Honorary Fellows". Oriel College, Oxford.