Thomas John McDonnell
Thomas John McDonnell
|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
Thomas John McDonnell, D.D., (August 18, 1894–February 25, 1961) was the Roman Catholic coadjutor bishop, cum jure successionis, of what is now the Roman Catholic Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston, West Virginia.
Education and pastoral assignment
Thomas John McDonnell was born in New York City. He was ordained to the priesthood for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York on September 20, 1919. McDonnell was admitted as an affiliated member, number 87, to Marist College in 1944.
On July 2, 1947, Pope Pius XII appointed McDonnell auxiliary bishop of the New York Archdiocese. He was ordained on September 15, 1947, by Cardinal Francis Spellman who was his principal consecrator. His principal co-consecrators were Cardinals Richard James Cushing and James Francis Aloysius McIntyre. On March 15, 1951, Pope Pius XII, appointed McDonnell to the Wheeling Diocese with the right to succeed Bishop John Joseph Swint.
Later years and death
On March 17, 1948, McDonnell celebrated a Pontifical High Mass in honor of St. Patrick with Spellman presiding. This high mass was said for St. Patrick's Cathedral's patron saint with 3,000 parishioners in attendance and was covered in the New York Times' sports section.
Consecrations and dedications
McDonnell was the principal consecrator of Bishop Patrick Joseph Byrne. He was the principal co-consecrator of Bishops Stephen Anthony Appelhans, John Joseph Boardman, Richard Henry Ackerman and Archbishop Leo Clement Andrew Arkfeld.
McDonnell died on February 25, 1961, before he was able to succeed Swint to become bishop of Wheeling. He had been a priest for 41 years and a bishop for 13 years. Swint died on November 23, 1962, one year later.
- Former Bishops dwc.org Retrieved: 2010-05-07.
- Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston dwc.org Retrieved: 2010-05-07.
- History of the Marist Brothers in the United States Appendixes E-K Marist College June 10, 2004 Retrieved: 2010-05-08.
- Bishop Thomas John McDonnell † catholic-hierarchy.org Retrieved: 2010-05-07.
- 3,000 AT ST. PATRICK'S; Spellman Presides at Annual Mass in the Cathedral Appeared: NY Times Sports section NY Times March 18, 1948 Retrieved: 2010-05-10.
- MSGR. O'BRIEN GETS ACCLAIM FOR WORK; 50 Years of Priesthood Marked at Service in St. Agnes Church and at Luncheon NY Times June 7, 1948 Retrieved: 2010-05-08.
- Chronology of Marist College: 1858-1969 Author: Brother Joseph L.R. Belanger Marist College November 3, 2005 Retrieved: 2010-05-08.
- All Saints Catholic Church History allsaintsbridgeport.com, Author:Nathan Broslawsky 2005 Retrieved: 2010-05-08.
- Sacred Heart Catholic Church and School sacredheartwilliamson.com, Retrieved: 2010-05-08.
- Former Bishops dwc.org Retrieved: 2010-05-11.
- Archbishop John Joseph Swint † catholic-hierarchy.org Retrieved: 2010-05-11.
- Schedule of Masses & Events Station Churches Cathedral of Saint Joseph of Wheeling February 21, 2010 Retrieved: 2010-05-08.