Thomas L. Brodie
|Thomas L. Brodie, STD, OP|
|Education||STD (Doctorate in Sacred Theology)|
|Alma mater||Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas|
|Occupation||Priest and author|
Thomas L. Brodie, OP (born 1943) is a Dominican priest and writer. He has worked in academia and published scholarly books on Christianity. He supports the Christ myth theory, the theory that Jesus did not exist as a historical figure.
He was born in Crusheen, County Clare.
Brodie earned his STD at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome in 1988, at the age of 48. He has taught Hebrew Scriptures and New Testament in various institutions across the United States and in South Africa, including the Aquinas Institute of Theology in St. Louis, Missouri.
Brodie has written a number of books about the Bible, with emphases on the Gospel of John, Genesis and the narratives of Elijah and Elisha. He has most frequently been published by Oxford University Press and Sheffield Phoenix Press.
Christ mythicism and sanctions
His 2012 book Beyond the Quest for the Historical Jesus: Memoir of a Discovery caused controversy when Brodie endorsed the Christ myth theory and expressed that Jesus of Nazareth was not a historical figure, a belief he reports he has held since the 1970s.
Following the publication of the book and revelations of his belief that Jesus did not exist, The Irish Sun reported in January 2013 that Brodie had been forced to quit his teaching job and banned from lecturing while his writings were being investigated. The final judgement of the Dominican Order on the matter was published in their periodical Doctrine and Life in May–June 2014.
- The Quest for the Origin of John's Gospel: A Source-Oriented Approach Oxford University Press, USA (January 14, 1993) ISBN 0195075889
- The Gospel According to John: A Literary and Theological Commentary Oxford University Press, USA (November 27, 1997) ISBN 0195118111
- The Crucial Bridge: The Elijah-Elisha Narrative Michael Glazier (January 1, 2000) ISBN 081465942X
- Genesis As Dialogue: A Literary, Historical, and Theological Commentary Oxford University Press, USA (August 16, 2001) ISBN 0195138368
- The Birthing of the New Testament: The Intertextual Development of the New Testament Writings (New Testament Monographs) Sheffield Phoenix Press Ltd (June 6, 2006) ISBN 1905048661
- Beyond the Quest for the Historical Jesus: Memoir of a Discovery Sheffield Phoenix Press (September 6, 2012) ISBN 190753458X