This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Thomas Lang in concert, 15 October 2005
5 August 1967 |
|Genres||Instrumental rock, pop, jazz fusion, progressive rock, heavy metal, avant-garde metal|
|Associated acts||stOrk, John Wetton, Vienna Art Orchestra|
Thomas Lang ( listen (help·info); born 5 August 1967, Vienna) is an Austrian drummer, multi-instrumentalist, composer and record producer. He is the founding member of the Los Angeles-based progressive/avant garde metal band stOrk and is known for his international session work on a wide variety of genres such as rock, pop, jazz, and heavy metal with artists such as Robert Fripp, Peter Gabriel, Robbie Williams and Sugababes, among many others.
Lang was born in Vienna. He took up drumming at age five. In addition to lessons at local music schools and years of private tuition, he was classically trained at the Vienna Conservatory of Music. After leaving the conservatory in 1985, Lang began working professionally, working his way through the European pop, rock and jazz scenes. As a session musician he played for artists such as John Wetton, Robert Fripp, Glenn Hughes, Peter Gabriel, Asia, Nik Kershaw, Tina Turner, Robbie Williams, Kelly Clarkson, Sugababes, Geri Halliwell, Emma Bunton, Victoria Beckham, Ronan Keating, Steve Hackett, 911, Boyzone, Falco, Nina Hagen, Steve Jones, Mick Jones, the Commodores, George Michael, Doogie White, B*Witched, Gianna Nannini, Lighthouse Family, Westlife, Kylie Minogue, the Blockheads, Sertab Erener, Vienna Art Orchestra, Bonnie Tyler, Nadine Beiler, and Paul Gilbert. In 1995 Lang released his debut solo project, Mediator, which topped the charts in Europe and garnered positive reviews.
In 2009, Lang launched the Thomas Lang Drumming Boot Camp, a multi-day touring, educational drumming experience that he hosted in various locations around the world including London, Los Angeles, New York, Berlin, Austria and Finland among others. In 2012, Lang debuted the five-day, multi-drummer festival which has featured various guest artists including Virgil Donati, Stanton Moore, Chris Coleman, Dave Elitch, Kenny Aronoff, George Kollias and Jeff Hamilton among others.
- Thomas Lang – Mediator (1995)
- John Wetton – Live at the Progfest L.A. (1997)
- Thomas Lang – Creative Control (2003)
- Thomas Lang – Creative Coordination (2006)
- Thomas Lang – Something Along Those Lines (2007)
- BWitched – Jump Up Jump Down Live
- Willi Langer – Colours of the Octopus
- Willi Langer – Signs of Life
- Billy Liesegang – No Strings Attached
- Vienna Art Orchestra – Songs and other Adventures
- Vienna Art Orchestra – Art and Fun
- John Wetton – Arkangel
- John Wetton – Live in Tokyo
- John Wetton – Live in Argentina
- stOrk – stOrk (2011)
- Paul Gilbert – Vibrato (2012)
- stOrk – Broken Pieces (2014)
- Bastian – Among My Giants (2015)
- Eric Gillette – The Great Unknown (2016)
- "DARKANE's PETER WILDOER Talks About Auditioning For DREAM THEATER". Blabbermouth.net. May 2, 2011. Retrieved March 4, 2015.
- Bosso, Joe (June 23, 2010). "Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy answers your questions". MusicRadar. Retrieved March 4, 2015.
- "Thomas Lang". Thomaslangdrumcamp.com. Retrieved 2014-08-09.