Thomas Lumley (statistician)
This biographical article is written like a résumé. (May 2021)
Lumley received his Bachelors of Science at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia in 1991, a Masters of Science in Applied Statistics at the University of Oxford in Oxford, United Kingdom in 1993, and his Ph.D. in Biostatistics at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington in 1998.
Lumley is a professor of statistics at the University of Auckland where he researches regression modelling, clinical trials, semiparametric inference, statistical computing, foundations, and genomics. His statistics publications are commonly cited in the statistics and biostatistics fields. He makes contributions to R as a member of the R Core Team and contributes to the StatsChat blog.
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Predoctoral Fellowship from 1995 to 1998
- Donovan J Thompson Award for Academic Excellence in Biostatistics in 1996
- Best Oral Presentation at Biometric Society Student Paper Competition in 1997
- Gertrude Cox Award for contributions to Statistical Practice in 2008
- Elected as an ASA Fellow in 2012
- Elected as a fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand in 2015
Some of Lumley's notable publications from 2019 include:
- Estimating prediction error for complex samples
- Computational Statistics & Data Analysis
- Fast Generalized Linear Models by Database Sampling and One-Step Polishing
- Levine, Marisa Taylor, Dan (18 September 2020). "Pfizer vaccine trial bets on early win against coronavirus, documents show". Reuters. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- "R: Contributors". www.r-project.org. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- "ASA Fellows List". www.amstat.org. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- "View our current Fellows". Royal Society Te Apārangi. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- "Thomas Lumley: CV". faculty.washington.edu. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- "Stats Chat". 5 April 2021. Retrieved 6 April 2021.
- Holbrook, Andrew; Lumley, Thomas; Gillen, Daniel (2020). "Estimating prediction error for complex samples". Canadian Journal of Statistics. 48 (2): 204–221. arXiv:1711.04877. doi:10.1002/cjs.11527. ISSN 1708-945X.
- Chen, Tong; Lumley, Thomas (1 November 2019). "Numerical evaluation of methods approximating the distribution of a large quadratic form in normal variables". Computational Statistics & Data Analysis. 139: 75–81. doi:10.1016/j.csda.2019.05.002. ISSN 0167-9473.
- Lumley, Thomas (2 October 2019). "Fast Generalized Linear Models by Database Sampling and One-Step Polishing". Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics. 28 (4): 1007–1010. doi:10.1080/10618600.2019.1610312. ISSN 1061-8600.