Thomas Richard Robinson High School
|Thomas R. Robinson High School|
|6311 S. Lois Avenue
Tampa, Florida 33616
|Motto||Pride Through Excellence|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Silver, Black, White and Gray
Thomas R. Robinson High School (known as Robinson High School) is a public high school in Tampa, Florida. It was established in 1959 and is named after Thomas R. Robinson, an educator in Hillsborough County who began teaching in 1917. Robinson High School is the smallest high school in Hillsborough County. The official mascot of is the Fighting Knight
Robinson's biggest rival is Henry B. Plant High School, with a 56 year old rivalry between them. One of the school's biggest events of the year is the Robinson vs Plant football game, known as The Battle of South Tampa.
Robinson Knights were State Runner-up in football in 1963.They were defeated by Coral Gables High School 16-14 in the First Florida Official High School Championship. It was played at the University of Tampa's Phillips Field on 12/13/63. In 1971 the Knights lost to Ft. Pierce Central in the State Championship game. That same school year the baseball team won the State Championship in Orlando. In 1998, Robinson High School Football team reached state semi final and lost to Glades Central. In 2012, Robinson High School football season was special. They finished the season with a 9-1 record as district champions. Also reached state semi final and lost to Tallahassee Godby. in 2014, the Robinson High School girl's flag football team won the FHSAA State Championship and was runner up in 2015. The boys' baseball team also made it to the state final four in 2015. The girls' volleyball team went to the state final four in 2014 and in 2015. In 2016, the girls' flag football team won the 1A FHSAA State Championship for the second time against Harmony High School 20-0.
International Baccalaureate Programme
The school is the third Hillsborough County high school to have an International Baccalaureate Programme. The program was established in the 2006-2007 school year and offers a Pre-IB curriculum for grades 9 and 10, and a rigorous IB Diploma Program for grades 11 and 12. Robinson received the status of a full-fledged IB diploma school for the 2008-2009 school year. The first class of IB students graduated in the spring of 2010.
The Robinson High School class of 2015 had the highest IB pass rate not just in Hillsborough County but in the entire state of Florida with 100% of students receiving their IB diploma. Only 36 other IB schools in the United States out of 876 also accomplished this feat.
Robinson High's IB program is one of the most competitive schools to be accepted to in the county; only 150 spots are open every year. Robinson High School also had the highest number of National Merit semi finalists in Hillsborough County in 2015.
- Hulk Hogan - Professional wrestler and actor
- Zain Gilmore - NFL player
- Larrell Johnson - Arena football player
- Chuck Wright - Indoor Football Player
- Larry Smith - NFL player
- John Reaves - NFL player
- Dick Slater - Professional wrestler
- Mike Graham - Professional wrestler.
- Joep Lange - HIV/AIDS researcher
- Austin Idol - Professional wrestler.
- Greg Ellingson - NFL player
- Javier Arenas - NFL player
- Reshard Hicks - Professional Boxer
- Delbert Alvarado - NFL player
- Matt Vogler - American football player
- David Koons - professional baseball player
- Sokol, Marlene (10 September 2015). "National Merit Semifinalists in Hillsborough". Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- Robinson High School (HCPS) School website.
- T.R. Robinson High School Alumni Association Official RHS Alumni Association website.