This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Chief Executive Officer of Canada's Salt and Light Catholic Media Foundation, and English language Media Attaché of the Holy See Press Office|
|Ordination||19 April 1986|
3 March 1959 |
Rochester, New York, US
|Alma mater||St. John Fisher College, Regis College, Pontifical Biblical Institute, École Biblique et Archéologique Française de Jérusalem|
Thomas Rosica, C.S.B. (born 1959) is a Canadian Catholic priest and Basilian Father. He is the Chief Executive Officer of Canada's Catholic Salt + Light Television network, and frequent national newspaper columnist.
In October 2008, Fr. Rosica was appointed by the Vatican as the English-speaking Media Attaché of the Synod of Bishops at the Vatican that focused on "The Word of God in the Life and Mission of the Church." In February 2009, Pope Benedict XVI appointed Fr. Rosica a Consultor to the Pontifical Council for Social Communications. The Vatican appointed him once again to be the English-language Media Attaché of the Synod of Bishops on "The New Evangelization" that took place during October 2012 at the Vatican. He also served as English-language Media Attaché at the October 2014 Extraordinary Synod on the Family and the October 2015 Ordinary Synod of Bishops on the Family.
Lawsuit threat against David Domet
On February 17, 2015 Fr. Thomas Rosica issued a cease and desist letter against David Domet, of the Catholic blog "Vox Cantoris". In the letter issued from Folger, Rubinoff LLP, Domet is accused of having made false and defamatory statements about Rosica. Since 2010, David Domet has been critical of Fr. Thomas Rosica on both a personal level. The document from Folger, Rubinoff LLP, demanded that nine statements, made by Domet, be retracted from the blog with a public apology made to Rosica. It also noted that compliance with a retraction and apology may not necessarily remove the current or future threat of litigation, but may reduce claimed damages.
On March 4, 2015 Fr. Rosica announced in his blog that his intention was not to sue the blogger but to stop the blogger from making 'frivolous calumny' by issuing a "cease and desist" letter. He also claimed that the legal firm, offering its service pro bono to him, issued the letter on his behalf. No lawsuit was ever launched against the blogger, and the matter is now closed.
In May 2016, Rosica received the St. Francis DeSales Distinguished Communicator Award from the DeSales Media Group of the Diocese of Brooklyn, New York. That same month, he was also awarded a Doctorate of Humane Letters Honoris Causa by Niagara Univeristy In Niagara Falls, New York. In June 2016, he was inducted into the Hall of Fame of Aquinas Institute of Rochester.
- "Thomas Rosica, C.S.B, Chief Executive Officer, Salt and Light Catholic Media Foundation" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-03-29.
- "Synod on the Family – Fr Thomas Rosica". iCatholic.ie. 2015-10-27. Retrieved 2016-07-05.
- "New York Catholics to Celebrate World Communications Day - DeSales Media Group". 2016-04-25. Retrieved 2016-07-05.
- "The Future of Catholic Media: An Interview with Father Thomas Rosica, C.S.B.". 2014-07-28. Retrieved 2016-07-05.
- Vatican Spokesman Threatens to Sue Catholic Blogger
- Priest who does Vatican PR says he won’t sue conservative blogger
- A Message from Fr. Thomas Rosica, CSB
- "The New Evangelization for the Transmission of the Christian Faith - Instrumentum Laboris". www.vatican.va. Retrieved 2016-07-25.