Thomas Grace (missionary)
|Thomas Samuel Grace|
Thomas Samuel Grace
16 February 1815|
|Died||30 April 1879|
|Relatives||Lawrence Marshall Grace M.P. (son)|
Thomas Samuel Grace (16 February 1815 – 30 April 1879) was an English Anglican missionary in New Zealand. He was a member of the Church Missionary Society. He was born in Liverpool, Lancashire, England on 16 February 1815.
Grace replaced William Williams at Tūranga in Poverty Bay from 1850 until 1853, during the latter’s trip to Britain. Te Kooti attended the boarding school at Tūranga during the time Grace was in charge of the mission.
He was appointed to Taupo. In 1865 the Pai Mārire ransacked his house. Grace fled from Taupo to Opotiki and was caught up in the Völkner Incident. He was arrested and put on trial by the Pai Mārire party. He was rescued from captivity two weeks later by a British man-of-war, HMS Eclipse, after an attempt by the Pai Mārire to exchange him for Tauranga chief Hori Tupaea, who was in prison. In the 1870s he rebuilt the mission station at Taupo.
- D. Grace, A Driven Man – Missionary Thomas Samuel Grace 1815-1879: His Life and Letters, Wellington : Ngaio Press, 2004
- Murray, Janet E. "Thomas Samuel Grace". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Ministry for Culture and Heritage. Retrieved 1 December 2011.
- "Blain Biographical Directory of Anglican clergy in the South Pacific" (PDF). 2015. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- Derby, Mark (July 2007). "Wai 900 – East Coast inquiry, 'Undisturbed Possession' – Te Tiriti o Waitangi and East Coast Māori 1840 – 1865 (Scoping Report)" (PDF). Ruawaipu. Retrieved 3 October 2011.
- "The Church Missionary Gleaner, January 1851". The Aged Chief of Taupo. Adam Matthew Digital. Retrieved 18 October 2015. (Subscription required (. ))
- "The Church Missionary Gleaner, May 1874". The Church Missionary House at Pukawa. Adam Matthew Digital. Retrieved 24 October 2015. (Subscription required (. ))
- "The Church Missionary Gleaner, September 1865". Death of the Rev. C. S Volkner. Adam Matthew Digital. Retrieved 24 October 2015. (Subscription required (. ))
- S. Barton Babbage, "Hauhauism: An Episode in the Maori Wars 1863-1866", chapter 1. A.H & A.W. Reed, Dunedin, 1937
- "The Church Missionary Gleaner, February 1877". The Rev. T. S. Grace of New Zealand. Adam Matthew Digital. Retrieved 24 October 2015. (Subscription required (. ))
|This biographical article about a New Zealand religious figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|