|Bishop of Jaffna|
|Native name||தோமசு சௌந்தரநாயகம்|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Installed||6 July 1992|
|Term ended||13 October 2015|
|Other posts||Bishop of Mannar (1981-92)|
13 July 1938 |
|Alma mater||Pontifical Urbaniana University|
Early life and family
Savundaranayagam was born on 13 July 1938 in Kayts on the island of Velanaitivu in northern Ceylon. He was educated at St. Anthony's College, Kayts and St. Patrick's College, Jaffna. He then studied at St. Martin's Seminary, Jaffna and National Seminary, Ampitiya (1957-64). Savundaranayagam has a Doctor of Sacred Theology degree from the Pontifical Urbaniana University and a Diploma in Catechetics.
Savundaranayagam was ordained as a priest in December 1963. In January 1981 he was appointed Bishop of Mannar and was ordained as a bishop in July 1981 at the Shrine of Our Lady of Madhu. He became Bishop of Jaffna in July 1992. He retired in October 2015.
Savundaranayagam is a strong activist for Tamil rights in Sri Lanka and humanitarian efforts in what is sometimes called "Tamil Eelam". He had called for international intervention to stop the Sri Lankan conflict.
- "Bishop Thomas Savundaranayagam". Catholic Hierarchy.
- "Bishop Savundranayagam". Union of Catholic Asian News.
- "Past Bishops". St Patrick's College, Jaffna Old Boys' Association, Colombo Branch. Archived from the original on 23 March 2014.
- Rasaiya, Christy (16 July 2000). "St. Patrick's 150 years old". The Sunday Times (Sri Lanka).
- "Pope appoints new bishop in Jaffna, S. Lanka". Vatican Radio. 13 October 2015.
- "Jaffna bishop hails gesture". The Hindu. 1 January 2009.
- Kremmer, Janaki (14 January 2005). "Distrust between Sri Lanka, rebels hampers tsunami aid". The Christian Science Monitor.
- "Sri Lankan Bishop calls for international intervention to stop war". Alertnet. Caritas Internationalis. 11 May 2007. Archived from the original on 6 July 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thomas Savundaranayagam.|