Thomas W. Ross
|President of the University of North Carolina|
January 1, 2011 – January 4, 2016
|Preceded by||Erskine Bowles|
|Succeeded by||Margaret Spellings|
June 5, 1950 |
Greensboro, North Carolina, U.S.
|Alma mater||Davidson College
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Thomas Warren Ross, Sr. is an American public official who served as the president of the University of North Carolina system from 2011 to 2016. He succeeded Erskine Bowles on January 1, 2011. Formerly, he was president of Davidson College, a private North Carolina liberal arts college from August 1, 2007 to January 1, 2011.
Ross, a native of Greensboro, North Carolina, graduated from Davidson in 1972, as did his father in 1937 and his children in 1999 and 2001. In 1975, he graduated with honors from the University of North Carolina School of Law. Ross became an attorney, chief of staff to Congressman Robin Britt, a state superior court judge for 17 years, director of the North Carolina Administrative Office of the Courts, and executive director of the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation in Winston-Salem (2001–2007). He is a former chairman of the UNC Greensboro Board of Trustees.
Ross is the recipient of the William Rehnquist Award for Judicial Excellence, the Boy Scouts of America Distinguished Eagle Scout Award, Governing Magazine's National Public Official of the Year award (one of ten, 1994), and the Order of the Long Leaf Pine.
In an article on the Washington Post on May 18,2016, as of July 1, 2016, Ross will become the president of the Volcker Alliance, a nonpartisan organization aimed at rebuilding public trust in government that was founded by Paul Volcker.
Ross named the first Terry Sanford Distinguished Fellow at Duke University’s Sanford School of Public Policy in 2016.
- News & Observer: Davidson president to lead UNC system
- News & Observer: It's official: Ross is the new UNC president
- UNC Press release: Ross Elected President of the University of North Carolina
- "Sending Off Class Of 2015 To Lead And Help Others". North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics. NCSSM. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- News & Observer
- "UNC President Emeritus Ross Named Sanford Fellow at Duke | Duke University Sanford School of Public Policy". sanford.duke.edu. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- Winston-Salem Journal article: Davidson College alum returns as its new president
- Davidson press release
- Official Biography
- Distinguished Alumnus Award citation
|President of the University of North Carolina System