Thomas West, 2nd Baron De La Warr
|Thomas West, 2nd Baron De La Warr|
|Noble family||De La Warr|
|Father||William West, 1st Baron De La Warr|
|Died||24 March 1602|
Thomas West was the eldest son of William West, 1st Baron De La Warr, by his first wife, Elizabeth Strange, the daughter of Thomas Strange of Chesterton, Gloucestershire. He succeeded his father, who had been created Baron De La Warr in 1597 by letters patent.
In 1597 he petitioned the House of Lords to have the precedence of the original barony, 1299, on the basis that he actually held the ancient peerage. After his claim was admitted, he sometimes referred to himself as 11th Baron.
- Sir Robert West, who married, about 1592, Elizabeth Cocke, daughter of Henry Cocke of Broxbourne, Hertfordshire, and predeceased his father. After West's death his widow married Sir Robert Oxenbridge.
- Thomas West, 3rd Baron De La Warr (7 July 1577 – c. February 1624), who married Cecily Shirley, youngest daughter of Sir Thomas Shirley and Anne Kempe, daughter of Sir Thomas Kempe of Olantigh, Kent.
- Walsingham West.
- Francis West (28 October 1586 – c.1634), esquire, Governor of Virginia, who emigrated to Virginia, and married firstly, before 6 February 1626, Margaret, widow of Edward Blayney, by whom he had a son, Francis West, and a daughter, Elizabeth West, and secondly, on 31 March 1628, Temperance Flowerdew (d. December 1628), widow of Sir George Yeardley, Governor of Virginia, daughter of Anthony Flowerdew of Hethersett, Norfolk, by Martha Stanley.
- John West (14 December 1590 – 1659), Governor of Virginia, who emigrated to Virginia, and married a wife named Anne Percy, by whom he had a son, John West.
- Lieutenant Colonel Nathaniel West (30 November 1592 – 7 June 1618), who emigrated to Virginia, where in 1621 he married Frances Greville (d.1634), by whom he had a son, Nathaniel West. His widow married secondly Abraham Peirsey, esquire (d. 16 January 1628), and thirdly Captain Samuel Mathews, esquire (died c. March 1658).
- Elizabeth West (11 September 1573 – 15 January 1633), who married at Wherwell, Hampshire, on 12 February 1594, as his second wife, Herbert Pelham (c.1546 – 12 April 1620), esquire, a widower with two sons and a daughter by his first wife, Katherine Thatcher, by whom she had three sons and six daughters.
- Lettice West (b. 1579), who married Henry Ludlow.
- Anne West (b. 13 February 1588), who married firstly, by licence dated 30 August 1608, John Pellatt (d. 22 October 1625), esquire, of Bolney, Sussex, by whom she had three daughters; secondly Christopher Swale (d. 7 September 1645), by whom she had a son, Christopher, and a daughter, Elizabeth; and thirdly Leonard Lechford (died c. 29 November 1673), by whom she had no issue.
- Penelope West (9 September 1582 – c.1619), who married, about 1599, as his first wife, Herbert Pelham (c.1580 – 13 July 1624)), esquire, of Hastings, Sussex, stepson of Penelope West's elder sister, Elizabeth, by whom she had five sons and four daughters.
- Katherine West (b. 1583), who married Nickolas Strelby.
- Helen West (b. 15 December 1587), who married Sir William Savage of Winchester, Hampshire, by whom she had a son, John Savage, and two daughters, Cecily and Anne.
- Anne West (again).
- Elizabeth West (again), who married Sir Richard Saltonstall of Huntwick, Yorkshire.
|This section does not cite any sources. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Ancestors of Thomas West, 2nd Baron De La Warr|
- Richardson IV 2011, pp. 324-5.
- Richardson IV 2011, pp. 325-9.
- West, Robert (c.1574-94), of the Inner Temple, London, History of Parliament Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Cocke, Henry (1538-1610), of Broxbourne, Hertfordshire, History of Parliament Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Oxenbridge, Sir Robert (1508/9-74), of Brede, Sussex, and Hurstbourne Priors, Hampshire Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Richardson IV 2011, p. 326.
- Richardson IV 2011, p. 328.
- Brenan 1902, p. 208–9.
- Richardson IV 2011, pp. 328-9.
- Richardson IV 2011, p. 329.
- Richardson IV 2011, p. 327.
- Brenan, Gerald (1902). A History of the House of Percy, from the Earliest Times Down to the Present. II. London: Freemantle. 208–9.
- McCartney, W. Martha W. Cockacoeske, Queen of Pamunkey: Diplomat and Suzeraine.[full citation needed]
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G., ed. Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families. IV (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. pp. 320–25. ISBN 1460992709.
- Rountree, Helen C. (1989). The Powhatan Indians of Virginia: Their Traditional Culture. University of Oklahoma Press.
- Wood, Peter H. Powhatan's Mantle: Indians in the Colonial Southeast.[full citation needed]
|Peerage of England|
William West, 1st Baron De La Warr
|Baron De La Warr
Thomas West, 3rd Baron De La Warr