Thomas Zacharias (athlete)
Thomas Zacharias in 1970
|Born||2 January 1947 (age 72)|
Bad Harzburg, Germany
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||76 kg (168 lb)|
Thomas Michael Zacharias (born 2 January 1947) is a German high jumper. He competed in the 1968 Olympics and finished in 14th place with a jump of 2.09 m. He set five national records (2.17 to 2.20 in 1970). His personal best is 2.22 m (world's best indoor 1971).
Zacharias continues competing internationally, in the masters categories, where he set dozens of world records. Two of them, 2.00 m indoor and 1.98 m outdoor in the M50 age group, have stood since 1997. Zacharias is a lifelong proponent of the straddle technique in the high jump.
|2.00||10 September 1988||40–44||NR|
|1.96||7 October 1996||45–49||NR|
|2.00||2 March 1997||Current||50–54||WR(i)|
|1.84||25 January 2006||5 April 2008||55–59||WR|
|1.80||27 April 2007||16 August 2012||60–64||WR|
|1.65||12 March 2014||Current||65–69||WR(i)|
(i) = indoors, WR = world record, ER = European record, NR = national record
Zacharias was born to Hella and Helmut Zacharias. His father (died 2002) was a famous violin player, composer and orchestra director, his sister Sylvia holds a PhD in social sciences, and his brother Stephan is a composer and music producer for film and television. Zacharias has a son, Alejandro, and daughter Cristina, with Lola López, a sports teacher.
Zacharias completed his school studies in Hamburg (Germany), Genoa (Italy) and Ascona (Switzerland). He continued his education in Paris, Berlin and Mainz, studying philosophy and psychology, but majoring in physical education, and since the 1980s has lived on Lanzarote, one of the Canary Islands. In the 2000s, besides competing in the high jump and being a track and field coach, he became a specialist in golf biomechanics and tuition and published two books on the subject. In 1999–2002 he worked as a psychologist with the national golf amateur team and in 2002-2008 was instruction advisor to the PGA of Germany.
- Thomas Zacharias (1985). Was es Heisst ein Mensch zu Sein. Zacharias.
- Thomas Zacharias (1987). Drei Komplexe sind normal: d. für jeden Menschen wichtigsten Erkenntnisse d. Tiefen-Psychosomatik. T. Zacharias.
- Thomas Zacharias (1997) Hoch- und Weitsprung Perfekt, Nentershausen
- Thomas Zacharias (2007) Golfprofis schwingen nicht – sie schlagen: Die richtige Technik verstehen und erlernen. Kosmos. ISBN 3440106926
- Thomas Zacharias (2011) Der neue Golfschlag. Kosmos. ISBN 3440127710
- Thomas Zacharias. sports-reference.com
- Masters Athletics Track and Field – World Records. mastersathletics.net
- High Jump Straddle World Record M65 Thomas Zacharias. youtube.com
- High Jump Straddle World Record M55 1m84 at 59.2. youtube.com
- Bio Archived 12 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine. thomas-zacharias.de.
- Germany’s Thomas Zacharias zaps M65 WR in indoor high jump Archived 24 December 2014 at the Wayback Machine. masterstrack.com. March 2014.