Thompson Township, Seneca County, Ohio
|Thompson Township, Seneca County, Ohio|
Countryside south of Bellevue
Location of Thompson Township in Seneca County
|• Total||37.3 sq mi (96.7 km2)|
|• Land||37.3 sq mi (96.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||804 ft (245 m)|
|• Density||38.1/sq mi (14.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086955|
Located in the northeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- York Township, Sandusky County - north
- Lyme Township, Huron County - northeast
- Sherman Township, Huron County - southeast
- Reed Township - south
- Scipio Township - southwest corner
- Adams Township - west
- Green Creek Township, Sandusky County - northwest corner
Name and history
Thompson Township was established in 1820.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Seneca County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Butterfield, Consul Willshire (1848). History of Seneca County: Containing a Detailed Narrative of the Principal Events that Have Occurred Since Its First Settlement Down to the Present Time. D. Campbell. p. 131.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.