Thomson & Craighead
Life and work
They have been working together with video, sound and the internet since 1993. Much of their work to date explores how technology changes the way we perceive the world around us. They use live data to make artworks, including "template cinema online artworks" and gallery installations, where networked movies are created in real time from online material such as remote-user security web cams, audio feeds and chat room text transcripts.
Recently (as of 2008) they have made outdoor semi-permanent works, Decorative Newsfeeds and BEACON, where the emphasis is on live virtual information. In BEACON, data is projected onto gallery walls, interacting with viewers' physical space. In 2008 they made an animated documentary, Flat Earth, where the voices of bloggers found online are combined with public domain satellite imagery.
Exhibitions include 'Maps DNA and Spam' at Dundee Contemporary Arts; Never Odd nor even at Carroll / Fletcher Gallery London; Tate Britain; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art SFMOMA; Laboral Art Centre in Gijon, Spain; Zentrum Kunst Media ZKM, Karlsruhe, Germany; The New Museum, New York; Mejanlabs, Stockholm; Neuberger Museum of Art at Purchase, New York.
Notes and references
- "Organisation, artist collective, Thomson & Craighead [GB]". V2. 2002. Retrieved 2007-10-01.[dead link]
- "40 Artists, 40 Days, Thomson & Craighead,". Tate. 2005. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- "Template Cinema Online". Jon Thomson & Alison Craighead. 2004. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- "Short Films about Flying (a template cinema installation)". Jon Thomson & Alison Craighead. 2002. Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- "Decorative Newsfeeds (Outdoor version at The Junction in Cambridge)". Jon Thomson & Alison Craighead. 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- "BEACON (Railway flap sign at British Film Institute on London's Southbank)". Jon Thomson & Alison Craighead. 2007. Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- "Flat Earth (A desktop documentary)". Jon Thomson & Alison Craighead. 2007. Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- "Arts Foundation, Fellows Archive". Arts Foundation. 2005. Archived from the original on 2007-12-31. Retrieved 2008-04-07.
- "The MacDowell Colony index of fellows". The MacDowell Colony. 2004. Archived from the original on 2007-12-04. Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- "Slade School of Fine Art : Academic Staff". University College London. 2007. Archived from the original on 2008-01-24. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- "School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Languages". University of Westminster. 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- "Art and Money Online, Tate Britain,". Tate. 2001. Retrieved 2008-04-05.
- "010101 Art in Technological Times, SFMOMA,". SFMOMA. 2001. Archived from the original on 2007-10-29. Retrieved 2008-04-05.
- "Feedback at Laboral Arts Centre, Spain". Laboral Arts Centre. 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-10-20. Retrieved 2008-04-07.
- "New Media: Where? Neuberger Museum of Art". Nueberger Museum of Art. 2006. Retrieved 2008-04-03.