Thomson Reuters Messenger
|Initial release||Nov 2002|
|Stable release||8.4 / March, 2011|
|Type||professional Instant messaging client|
Thomson Reuters Messenger (RM; formerly Reuters Messaging) is an instant messaging tool and real time collaboration service designed for financial professionals. Messenger was first released by Reuters in November 2002. On April 17, 2008 the Thomson Corporation and Reuters Group PLC combined to form Thomson Reuters. The most recent version of Messenger is Thomson Reuters Messenger 8.4 (released March 31, 2011.)
Thomson Reuters Messenger allows financial professionals to securely share information with customers, colleagues and other business counterparts worldwide and in real-time. Messenger is available as a stand-alone product or as an embedded component in other Thomson Reuters products. The Messenger community provides direct access to over 140,000 professionals from the world's top financial institutions.
Thomson Reuters Messenger Compliance is an add-on risk management and regulatory compliance service. Messenger Compliance logs all content shared and received through Messenger including group chat, attachments, forms and screenshots. Archives are accessible (for extended archiving and eDiscovery) for a period of up to 7 years. Thomson Reuters Messenger Compliance is powered by Global Relay technology.
Messenger allows users to communicate with individuals on various consumer and enterprise IM networks. Consumer connectivity includes AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger and MSN Messenger. Reuters Messaging Interchange provides enterprise IM connectivity to those on Microsoft Office Communications Server (OCS), IBM Lotus Sametime and Cisco Jabber XCP.
Messenger 8.4 offers the following features:
- A dynamic directory of financial professionals, with easy to use advanced search capabilities.
- Improved efficiency using a “dashboard view” that shows email, instant messages and chat room activity all in one place.
- Communication that is more secure than email. All messages are encrypted with 128-bit encryption before transmission.
- Topic based chat rooms that make it easy to discuss trade details and strategies with industry experts.
- Enhanced productivity with the exchange of files, screenshots and financial data within the flow of your conversations.
The official versions of Thomson Reuters Messenger are as follows:
- RM 3.1, released in November, 2002 (for Windows NT4/2000/XP)
- RM 4.0, released in September, 2004 (for Windows 2000/XP)
- RM 5.0, released in December, 2005 (for Windows 2000/XP)
- RM 6.0, released in December, 2006 (for Windows XP)
- RM 7.0, released in December, 2007 (for Windows XP/Vista)
- RM 7.0 SP1, released in August, 2008 (for Windows XP/Vista)
- RM 8.0, released in December, 2008 (for Windows XP/Vista)
- RM 8.0 SP1, released in August, 2009 (for Windows XP/Vista)
- Messenger 8.3, released in July, 2010 (for Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7)
- Thomson Reuters Messenger for Windows, released in Jan 2011 (for Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7)
- Messenger 8.4, released in March, 2011 (for Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7)
The following versions of Thomson Reuters Messenger are no longer available for use:
- RM 3.1
- RM 4.0
- RM 5.0
- RM 6.0
Third-party Compliance Partners
- "THOMSON REUTERS MESSENGER COMPLIANCE" (PDF). Thomson Reuters Corporate Website. Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 24 January 2013.