A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Developer(s)||Aivar Annamaa and contributors|
3.0.8 / November 16, 2018
|Platform||Windows, Linux, macOS|
|Type||Integrated development environment|
Thonny is an integrated development environment for Python that is designed for beginners. It supports different ways of stepping through the code, step-by-step expression evaluation, detailed visualization of the call stack and a mode for explaining the concepts of references and heap.
- Line numbers
- Statement stepping without breakpoints
- Live variables during debugging
- Stepping through evaluation of the expressions (expressions get replaced by their values)
- Separate windows for executing function calls (for explaining local variables and call stack)
- Variables and memory can be explained either by using simplified model (name → value) or by using more realistic model (name → address/id → value)
- Simple pip GUI
- Possibility to log user actions for replaying or analyzing the programming process
The program works on Windows, macOS and Linux. It is available as binary bundle including recent Python interpreter or pip-installable package. It can be installed via operating-system package manager on Debian, Raspberry Pi, Ubuntu and Fedora.
Thonny has received favorable reviews from Python and computer science education communities. It has been recommended tool in several programming MOOCs. Since June 2017 it has been included by default in the Raspberry Pi's official operating system distribution Raspbian.
- Annamaa, Aivar (2015). "Introducing Thonny, a Python IDE for learning programming". Proceedings of the 15th Koli Calling Conference on Computing Education Research. Koli, Finland: ACM. pp. 117–121.
- Annamaa, Aivar (2015). "Thonny, a Python IDE for learning programming". Proceedings of the 2015 ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education. Vilnius, Lithuania: ACM. pp. 343–343.
- "Thonny website". Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Thonny on a Raspberry Pi: Using the new Python IDE in Raspbian". The MagPi Magazine. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Learn to code with Thonny — a Python IDE for beginners". Fedora Magazine. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Thonny Python distribution". Python Package Index. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Are you a Python newbie? Meet the IDE for beginners". JAXenter. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "New Term New Tool - Thonny, a Python IDE". C'est la Z. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Python IDEs for beginners - Thonny, Geany or Idle". ProjectCodeEd. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Installing Packages in Thonny". Python Data Visualization MOOC by Rice University. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Thonny". Programmming MOOC by University of Tartu. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "A Raspbian desktop update with some new programming tools". Raspberry Pi blog. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
|This software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|