|Birth name||Thor Salden|
|Also known as||Thor!|
28 November 1997 |
|Years active||2006 – present|
Thor Salden (born 28 November 1997, stage name: Thor!) from Schoten was the winning contestant in the Belgian pre-selections of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2006 and he represented Belgium in the international final on 2 December 2006 in Bucharest, Romania where he reached seventh place in a field of fifteen. At the time of the preselections he was the youngest contestant at eight years old. He won both the first semi-final on 17 September 2006 and the final on 1 October 2006. In the opening show he performed together with Attic and Clouseau.
His winning song "Een Tocht Door Het Donker" ("A Journey Through The Dark"), produced by Peter Gillis about a walk in the woods with his grandfather, was released as a single on 13 October 2006 and entered several national music charts. Initially the song reached #1 in the Ultratop 50, #2 in Belgium's national download music chart and #8 in the Radio 2 Top 30. After 16 weeks in the Ultratop 50, Thor received a golden record on 30 January 2007 as a result of over 15,000 single sales and legal downloads of the song, making him the youngest Belgian artist to receive this award.
Events in Schoten
On 25 October 2006 Thor and three other young people were invited to Schoten city hall where they signed "the golden book" and received an official deed for their accomplishments. The occasion was celebrated with a song to the tune of Thor's winning Junior Eurovision entry. Schoten city council also announced their plans surrounding the international Junior Eurovision final.
On 2 December 2006 the announced plans were put into action. For the occasion, residents of his home town could watch the international final of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest on big video screens in the market square and in the 'Forum' hall thanks to support from the VRT. Local inns worked together to provide things like soup, lemonade and glühwein for the occasion while the city council provided fire baskets and oversight. Children could make a "journey through the dark" from Thor's school to the market square.
After the contest
- "Thor!". The Boy Choir & Soloist Directory. Retrieved 1 October 2010.
- Thor's birthday blog message on the Belgian Junior Eurovision website[dead link] (Dutch)
- "k ga niet verwaand worden". Het Nieuwsblad. 3 October 2006. (subscription required) (Dutch)
- "Show details". Belgian Junior Eurovision.[dead link] (Dutch)
- "Peter Gillis profile". Belgian Junior Eurovision.[dead link] (Dutch)
- "Thor! krijgt gouden award voor 'Een tocht door het donker'". Gazet van Antwerpen (in Dutch). 2007-01-31. Retrieved 2009-04-15.
- "Gouden award voor Thor!". TV-Visie.nl (in Dutch). 2007-01-31. Retrieved 2009-04-15.
- Auman, Jan (26 October 2006). "Ti ti ti ti Schoten is fier!". Het Nieuwsblad (in Dutch). Retrieved 1 October 2010.
- "Thor plechtig ontvangen op gemeentehuis Schoten" (in Dutch). Radio 2 (Belgium). Retrieved 1 October 2010.
- "Call for support".[dead link] (Dutch)
- "Music for Life: nog meer hulp" (in Dutch). RadioVisie. 21 December 2006. Retrieved 1 October 2010. (Dutch)
- "Rode loper, reuzenscherm en loflied voor Eurosong-winnaar Thor Salden" (in Dutch). 2007-05-28. Retrieved 2009-04-15.[dead link] (Dutch)
|Belgium in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest