Redland City, Queensland
Queens Esplanade, 2018
|Population||3,761 (2016 census)|
|• Density||1,175/km2 (3,040/sq mi)|
|Area||3.2 km2 (1.2 sq mi)|
|Time zone||AEST (UTC+10:00)|
|Location||17 km (11 mi) from Brisbane GPO|
Thorneside is a coastal urban locality in the City of Redland, Queensland, Australia. In the 2016 census, Thorneside had a population of 3,761 people. It is located east of Brisbane, the capital of the Queensland.
Residential development in the suburb is predominately housing estates built around Thorneside Road and Mooroondu Road.
The locality is named after the Thorneside railway station, originally named Thorne's siding after William Thorne who bought a lot of land around Thorneside when it was originally subdivided in 1913. At that time the land was known as Thorne's estate.
In the 2011 census, Thorneside recorded a population of 3,548 people, 50.1% female and 49.9% male. The median age of the Thorneside population was 38 years, 1 year above the national median of 37. 74.2% of people living in Thorneside were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were New Zealand 6.4%, England 5.7%, Scotland 0.8%, South Africa 0.7%, Ireland 0.7%. 90.6% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 0.4% Spanish, 0.3% Punjabi, 0.3% Russian, 0.3% French, 0.3% Japanese.
- Beth Boyd Park
- Railway station
- Boat Ramp, popular boating and fishing spot
- William Taylor Park (Mooroondu Sports field), soccer, netball, cricket, and tennis facilities
- Willard Webber Reserve
- Queens Esplanade
- Community hall
- Local shops, including eateries, chemist, hairdressers, bottle shop and convenience store
- Canoe Club Located beside Tingalpa Creek
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Thorneside (SSC)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
- "Thorneside - locality in City of Redland (entry 43636)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "Thorneside (entry 43636)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Birkdale and Thorneside". www.redland.qld.gov.au. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Thorneside (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 10 November 2014.
- "Mobile Library". Redland City Council. Archived from the original on 31 January 2018. Retrieved 31 January 2018.