This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||Thorsten Overgaard Nielsen
25 March 1965
|Spouse(s)||Joy Villa (m. 2016)|
Thorsten von Overgaard (born 1965) is a Danish writer and photographer, specializing in portrait photography and documentary photography. He writes about photography and is an educator.
From 1983–1985 he was cultural editor of the monthly magazine Blitz where did interviews and featured Danish comics talents.
In 1985, at the age of 20 he co-founded the advertising agency A-Z Reklame with Mogens Gårdsmann.
From 1985 to 1993 he was owner or co-owner of the advertising agencies A-Z Reklame, Thorsten Overgaard and D3.
From 1993 to 1994 he worked at RMB advertising in Aarhus and then co-founded AD ONE advertising agency and eventually took over AD ONE in 1996 where he also went into producing websites, cooperated with Tiscali and World Online on international on-line campaigns, built the first Navision eBusiness integration and founded the first on-line coupon magazine and online PR agency.
In November 2000, Overgaard sold all activities of AD ONE to Execon A/S but remained as CEO and member of the executive board for a year.
In 2002, he founded a consulting company and also started writing freelance for Iværksætteren, Jyllands-Posten, etc. and also arranged tours with Ted Sorensen (John F. Kennedy speech-writer), and edited books for Klaus Riskær Pedersen. He also took up his interest in photography again and started photographing portraits for the interviews he did for the newspapers and magazines.
In early 2005 Overgaard went to South-East Asia to document the relief work after the Tsunami. This resulted in the photo documentary e-book and DVD "After the Tsunami" as a testament to the relief work performed by volunteers from all over the world.
Overgaard focused on photography from 2006 onwards and worked for Danish magazines and organizations doing reports and portraits. He also started portraying celebrities Kelly Preston, Juliette Lewis, Seal, Anne Archer, and statesmen Hans Blix, Bill Clinton, and the Danish Royal Family.
Overgaard conducts international photography workshops.
E-books by von Overgaard
- 2006. After the Tsunami. MacAlister. ISBN 87-990979-1-5.
- 2006. After the Tsunami DVD. MacAlister. ISBN 87-990979-1-5.
- 2009. Twenty Portraits of 2008. Self-published. ISBN 87-990979-2-3.
- 2010. Forty Portraits of 2009. Self-published. ISBN 978-87-990979-2-0.
- 2010. The Lightroom Survival Kit. Self-published.
- 2012. The Salzburg Collection. Leica Gallerie Salzburg. ISBN 978-87-990979-6-8.
- 2013. Finding the Magic of Light. Self-published.
- 2014. Die Magie des Lichts Finden. Self-published.
- 2015. The Moment of Emotional Impact in Photography. Self-published.
- 2015. The Lightroom Survival Kit 6. Self-published.
- 2016. The Freedom of Photographic Expression. Self-published.
- 2016. The New Overgaard Extension Course. Self-published.
- 2017. A Little Book on Photography. Self-published.
- 2017. Composition in Photography - The Photographer as Storyteller. Self-published.
Publications with contributions by von Overgaard
- Klaus Riskær (2009). "Understrøm". Edited by Overgaard. ISBN 9788798436416.
- Thomas Bloch Ravn (2009). By Den Gamle. Photographs by von Overgaard.
- Jørgen Nielsen (2009). Rock i Århus – Brudstykker af en musikhistorie. Aarhus Byhistoriske Fond. Von Overgaard was a contributor/photographer
- Lindsay Renee Adler and Rosh Sillars (2010). The Linked Photographers' Guide to Online Marketing and Social Media. Cengage Learning.
- Color Space: Contemporary Photography. Black Box Gallery / Blurb, 2014
- Snapshot Aesthetic: Domestic and Everyday. Black Box Gallery / Blurb, 2014.
- Harry Mathias (2015). The Death & Rebirth of Cinema: Mastering the art of cinematography in the digital cinema age. Waterfront Digital Press.
Short films made by von Overgaard about himself
- Picture Perfect (2008) – 4 minute documentary on von Overgaard and his view on photography. Made in Faroe Islands. Emma Brumpton/Channel 4.
- A Life with Leica Featuring Thorsten von Overgaard (2014) – 8 minute documentary on von Overgaard and his view on photography. Made in Rome, Italy. Northpass Media.
- 2012: Thorsten Overgaard: The Salzburg Collection, Leica Gallery, Salzburg
- 2012: Thorsten Overgaard: The Raffles Collection Singapore, Leica Gallery, Singapore
- 2014: Domestic and Everyday, Black Box Gallery, Portland
- 2014: Color Space: Contemporary Photography, Black Box Gallery, Portland
- 2014: Art Gemini Prize 2014, TriSpace Gallery, London
- 2014: Thorsten von Overgaard, Schmidt Marketing, Hong Kong
- 2015: Exhibition Von Overgaard: In support of the Children of Cambodia, Leica Gallery, Singapore
- 2015: Noctilux - King of the Night, Hong Kong
- 2014: 2nd prize, ArtGemini Prize 2014, Photography category.
- Overgaard, Thorsten (2002). "My Secret Life". Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Execon Media Ltd Press Release" (PDF). 2001. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- Overgaard, Thorsten (2000). "Execon Media Ltd". Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- Overgaard, Thorsten (2007). "The Hans Blix Portrait". Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- Thorsten Overgaard (2005). "After the Tsunami The Book". Retrieved 3 November 2012.[dead link]
- Overgaard, Thorsten. "Seminars & Workshops". overgaard.dk. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "Thorsten Overgaard. "We The People"" (in German). leica-galerie-salzburg.at. March 2012. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- Overgaard, Thorsten (November 2012). "Thorsten Overgaard. "I AM HERE"". Thorsten Overgaard. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- Overgaard, Thorsten (2014). "Snapshot Aesthetic". Retrieved 20 Dec 2014.
- Overgaard, Thorsten (2014). "Color Space - Contemporary Photography". Retrieved 20 Dec 2014.
- Overgaard, Thorsten (2014). "ArtGemini2014". Retrieved 18 Jan 2015.
- Overgaard, Thorsten (2014). "Schmidt Marketing". Retrieved 18 Jan 2015.
- "ArtGemini Prize 2014 Winners Announced". ArtGeminiPrize. 2014. Retrieved 19 June 2017.