Thou (American band)
|Origin||Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States|
|Associated acts||The Body|
Terry GulinoJosh Nee
Thou is an American sludge metal band formed in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 2005. The current line-up of the band consists of Bryan Funck (vocals), Andy Gibbs (guitar), Matthew Thudium (guitar), and Mitch Wells (bass).
The band was formed by guitarists Andy Gibbs and Matthew Thudium, bassist Mitch Wells, and drummer Terry Gulino. Thou released their first full-length effort, Tyrant, in 2007 after the arrival of the vocalist Bryan Funck. These were followed by their second studio album Peasant in 2008 and a string of EPs, including Malfeasance Retribution EP (2008), The Retaliation of the Immutable Force of Nature (2008), Through the Empires of the Eternal Void (2009) and Baton Rouge/You Have Much to Answer For (2010). Their third full-length album, Summit was released in 2010.
The band's fourth studio album, Heathen, released in 2014, was met with critical acclaim. This album marked the first time in the band's career that the band had featured cleanly sung vocals from collaborator Emily McWilliams. The album was named the best metal album of 2014 by music website Pitchfork. Thou has toured with and collaborated frequently with fellow sludge metal band The Body, whom they most recently collaborated with on the album entitled, You, Whom I Have Always Hated.
Style and artistry
Thou's style has been labeled as "experimental doom", stoner metal and sludge metal. On the band's style, Allmusic critic Gregory Heaney stated that "the band's sound blends the shuddering heaviness of doom with the oppressive atmospherics of black metal, giving the band a monolithic sound that feels, at times, inescapable."
Thou has taken a DIY approach to touring which has become a defining characteristic of the band and its aesthetic. Thou's lyrics often espouse Anarchist views. Thou also has covered artists from various rock music genres, including Nine Inch Nails' "Terrible Lie" (with The Body) and Nirvana songs "Something in the Way", "Sifting", and "Aneurysm"
- Bryan Funck – vocals (2007–present)
- Andy Gibbs – guitar (2005–present)
- Matthew Thudium – guitar (2005–present)
- Mitch Wells – bass (2005–present)
- Tyler Coburn – drums (2018–present)
- KC Stafford - guitar/bass/vocals (2018-present)
- Terry Gulino – drums (2005–2010)
- Josh Nee – drums (2010–2018)
- Tyrant (2007, One Eye Records)
- Peasant (2008, Level Plane Records)
- Summit (2010, Gilead Media)
- Heathen (2014, Gilead Media)
- Magus (2018, Sacred Bones Records)
Singles, EPs and Split Records
- Malfeasance-Retribution (2008) (10")
- Thrive and Decay (2008) (Split 7" with Black September)
- To Carry a Stone (2008) (7")
- We Pass Like Night... From Land to Land (2008) (Split-LP with Leech)
- The Retaliation of the Immutable Force of Nature (2008) (EP)
- Through the Empires of Eternal Void (2009)
- Reincarnation Prayer (2009) (Split 7" with Haarp)
- Our Enemy Civilization (2009) (Split-LP with Salome)
- Degradation of Human Life (2009) (Split-LP with Mohoram Atta)
- Dwell In The Darkness Of Thought And Drink The Poison Of Life (2010) (Split EP with The City is the Tower)
- Baton Rouge, You Have Much to Answer For (2010) (EP)
- Tears That Soak a Callous Heart (2010) (Split EP with Moloch)
- A Faire Quarrell (2010) (Split 7" with Human Intruder)
- War Is The Force That Gives Us Meaning: A Two Part Analysis Of Personal And Inter-Personal Conflict (2011) (Split-LP with Cower)
- Big City (2011)
- To the Chaos Wizard Youth (2011) (EP)
- The Archer & The Owle (2011) (EP)
- 4th of July (2012) (Split 7" with Kowloon Walled City)
- Resurrection Bay (Split 7" with Hell) (2012)
- Released from Love (collaborative EP with The Body) (2014)
- The Sacrifice (2014) (EP)
- You, Whom I Have Always Hated (collaborative album with The Body) (2015)
- Wingwalker/Prayer to God (2015) (Split 7" with Great Falls)
- Only You Deserve Conceit (2015) (7")
- Eyehatethou (Split EP with Barghest) (2015)
- I Have Become Your Pupil (Split with The Hirs Collective) (2018)
- The House Primordial (2018)
- Inconsolable (2018)
- Rhea Sylvia (2018)
- Oakland (2010)
- Rendon (2010)
- Ceremonies of Humiliation (2014)
- Algiers (2014)
- Call No Man Happy Until He Is Dead (2005)
- Demo (2007)
- "Well Fed Fuck" (originally by Born Against; Compilation "Clone - Play Slow, Die Fast, Vol. II" (2009, Blind Date Records)
- "Milk It" (originally by Nirvana; tribute album In Utero, in Tribute, in Entirety) (2014, Robotic Empire)
- "Endless, Nameless"/"Even In His Youth" (originally by Nirvana; tribute album Whatever Nevermind) (2015, Robotic Empire)
- "Eyehatethou" (Adult Swim Singles 2015) (2015, Adult Swim)
- "Floyd the Barber" (originally by Nirvana; tribute album Doused in Mud, Soaked in Bleach) (2016, Robotic Empire)
- "Don't Let It Bring You Down" (originally by Neil Young; Compilation "Many Waters: Baton Rouge Flood Relief 2017" (2017, Thrill Jockey)
- Heaney, Gregory. "Thou". Allmusic. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- Kelly, Kim. "Thou: Heathen". Pitchfork.com. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- Gotrich, Lars. "First Listen: Thou, 'Heathen'". NPR.org. npr. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- Stousy, Brandon. "The Best Metal Albums of 2014". Pitchfork. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- Currin, Grayson. "The Body / Thou You, Whom I Have Always Hated". Pitchfork.com. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- Nelson, Michael. "The Body & Thou – "Terrible Lie" (Nine Inch Nails Cover)". Stereogum. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- Gotrich, Lars. "About A Song: Thou On Nirvana's 'Something In The Way'". NPR.org. NPR.org. Retrieved 6 February 2015.