Type of site
190 North 10th Street|
Brooklyn, New York 11211, United States
|Owner||The Thought & Expression Co.|
|Key people||Chris Lavergne|
|Alexa rank||2,218 (June, 2015[update])|
|Launched||February 1, 2010|
Thought Catalog is a website founded in 2010 by American entrepreneur and media strategist Chris Lavergne. Owned by The Thought & Expression Company, the site attracts 25 million monthly unique visitors.
The site's founder, Chris Lavergne, registered the domain name in 2008, and began working on the site while a marketing strategist at Warner Bros. Records. Thought Catalog started publishing on February 1, 2010. By 2012, Thought Catalog was attracting 2.5 million unique visitors per month, and began to attract a large number of millennial readers, with nearly three-quarters of the site’s audience falling into the 21- to 34-year-old demographic.
The site is based on a semi-open model, employing staff and freelance writers while also taking submissions for publication. Thought Catalog receives between 100 and 500 pieces a day via the submission form.
In July 2014 Thought Catalog was drawing more than 34 million unique visitors per month, with much of the traffic due to social sharing.
Thought Catalog’s founder, Chris Lavergne, was named to Forbes “30 Under 30” list in 2014.
In November, 2012, Thought Catalog launched Thought Catalog Books with four original e-books priced from $2.99 to $4.99. As of June 2015, the imprint has published over 225 titles. In September 2014, Thought Catalog Books and UTA sold the rights to The Tracking Of A Russian Spy, by Mitch Swenson, to StudioCanal. The imprint published Prozac Nation author Elizabeth Wurtzel’s book Creatocracy in early 2015.
Thought Catalog’s content, which includes listicles, essays, and think pieces, has been noted for its “millennial” voice. Many well-known authors have contributed to the site including Simon Critchley, Elizabeth Wurtzel, Tao Lin, Robert Greene, James Altucher, Mélanie Berliet, Nicole Mullen and Tim Ferriss, in addition to previously unpublished essayists.
- "Thoughtcatalog.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2015-06-05.
- Newton, Matthew Thought Catalog And The New Age Of Confessional Media Forbes. June 7, 2015
- Ucko, Dan How Thought Catalog Built A Site Millennials Actually Want To Read Native Advertising. June 8, 2015
- Weissman, Saya Thought Catalog Wants to Capture the Millennial Moment Digiday. June 8, 2015
- The Thought & Expression Co. Thought.is. June 7, 2015
- SUBMISSIONS Thought Catalog. June 8, 2015
- Schonfeld, Zach Thought Catalog’s Reckoning Newsweek. June 8, 2015
- Marikar, Sheila On the Nice Internet, Caring Is Sharing New York Times. June 6, 2015
- Geron, Tomio Sharethrough's Sponsored Videos Bringing Branded Content To Websites, Apps Forbes. June 8, 2015
- Marshall, Jack Sponsored Content That Buzzed in 2014 Wall Street Journal. June 6, 2015
- 2014 30 Under 30: Media Forbes. June 8, 2015
- Weissman, Saya Thought Catalog Tries E-Books Digiday. June 8, 2015
- Books Thought Catalog. June 8, 2015
- Fleming Jr., Mike Newbie Picture Company On The Case For ‘Tracking Of A Russian Spy’ Deadline. June 6, 2015
- Donnelly, Elisabeth Elizabeth Wurtzel Is Publishing Her Next Book, ‘Creatocracy,’ With Thought Catalog Flavorwire. June 8, 2015
- THOUGHT CATALOG CELEBRATES THE LAUNCH OF 'CREATOCRACY' BY ELIZABETH WURTZEL Guest of a Guest. June 6, 2015
- Herrera, Tim Inside the contradictory world of Thought Catalog, one of the Internet’s most reviled sites Washington Post. June 8, 2015
- Simon Critchley Thought Catalog. June 8, 2015
- Robert Greene Thought Catalog. June 8, 2015
- Tim Ferriss Thought Catalog. June 8, 2015
- Nicole Mullen Thought Catalog. June 8, 2015
- James Altucher Thought Catalog. June 8, 2015
- Hasan, Heba Too Sincere for the Internet? How the Web Journal Thought Catalog Sparked an Online Firestorm TIME. June 8, 2015