Thousand Islands Bridge
|Thousand Islands Bridge|
A view of the Canadian side of the bridge system from an observation tower just before the border crossing.
|Carries||2 lanes of I-81 and Highway 137|
|Crosses||Saint Lawrence River|
|Locale||Wellesley Island, New York, United States to Hill Island, Ontario, Canada|
|Official name||The Thousand Islands Bridge system|
|Maintained by||Thousand Islands Bridge Authority|
|Design||suspension & truss bridge|
|Total length||Total: 8.5 mi (13.7 km)|
|Longest span||American suspension: 800 ft (240 m)
Canadian suspension: 750 ft (230 m)
Canadian truss: 600 ft (180 m)
|Clearance below||U.S.: 150 ft (46 m)
Canada: 120 ft (37 m)
|Construction begin||April 30, 1937|
|Toll||Varies $2.75–$15.50 (USD or CAD)|
The Thousand Islands Bridge is an international bridge system over the Saint Lawrence River connecting northern New York in the United States with southeastern Ontario in Canada. Constructed in 1937, with additions in 1959, the bridges span the United States-Canada border in the middle of the Thousand Islands region, from which it derives its name. The bridges all carry two lanes of traffic (one in each direction) and pedestrian sidewalks, and is administered by the Thousand Islands Bridge Authority, an international agency.
The bridge is actually not a single bridge but rather a series of five bridges that span parts of the St. Lawrence River, ultimately connecting both banks. The southern end of the bridge connects with Interstate 81 and the northern end of the bridge connects to Highway 401 via Highway 137. There is also an interchange with the Thousand Islands Parkway on the Ontario side.
From ground-breaking ceremonies to completion, the entire Thousand Islands Bridge system took sixteen months to complete, which was ten weeks ahead of schedule. The total cost was $3,050,000. In the early years of its operation, the bridge usually had 150,000 vehicle crossings annually. Today, however, annual crossings exceed 2,000,000 vehicles.
Thousand Island Bridge Authority is conducting a study to determine, among other things, when the bridge will reach its operational limits and how to reduce delay on the bridge.
- List of crossings of the Saint Lawrence River
- Dewolf Point State Park
- Sewells Road Suspension Bridge
- Ogdensburg–Prescott International Bridge
- Ambassador Bridge
- Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority
- "Thousand Islands Bridge Facts". Retrieved 2008-05-29.
- Thousand Islands Bridge Authority Toll Rate Classification Schedule, 23 July 2013
- "Thousand Island Bridge Study". Retrieved 2008-05-29.
- Thousand Islands Bridge Authority
- Aerial photos of the Thousand Island Bridge System
- Ian Coristine's Thousand Islands Canadian Span & Area Gallery
- Tim Kocher's Riverview Photography of Ships Navigating Under the American Span & Gallery
- CBC Digital Archives: Recording of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's address at the opening of the Thousand Islands Bridge