Threading is a method of hair removal originating in Asia. In more recent times it has gained popularity in Western countries, especially with a cosmetic application (particularly for removing/shaping eyebrows).
In threading, a thin (cotton or polyester) thread is doubled, then twisted. It is then rolled over areas of unwanted hair, plucking the hair at the follicle level. Unlike tweezing, where single hairs are pulled out one at a time, threading can remove short rows of hair.
Advantages cited for eyebrow threading, as opposed to eyebrow waxing, are that it provides more precise control in shaping eyebrows and is gentler on the skin. It can be painful as several hairs are removed at once: however this can be minimized if it is done correctly.
There are a few different techniques for threading. These include the hand method, mouth method and neck. Each technique has advantages and disadvantages; however, the mouth holding method is the fastest and most precise.
Threading allows for a more defined and precise shape and can create better definition for eyebrows. It is also used as a method of removing unwanted hair on the entire face and upper lip area. Threading is not a good method for removing hair on arms or legs, as the hair in those regions is typically quite coarse and there is too much to remove.
The Arabic word for threading is 'Khite'; in Egypt it is also called 'Fatlah'.
- Walia, Nona (2012). "Times of India Publications". lite.epaper.timesofindia.com. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
Threading, say experts, has its origins in India and Central Asia
- Cartner-Morley, Jess (25 September 2004). "Jess Cartner-Morley on fashion". Does it work? Vaishaly Patel's eyebrow threading. The Guardian. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- Abdel-Gawad et al, 2008.
- Verma, S. B. (2009). "Eyebrow threading: A popular hair-removal procedure and its seldom-discussed complications". Clinical and Experimental Dermatology. 34 (3): 363–365. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2230.2008.02920.x. PMID 19021633.
- Litak, J.; Krunic, A. L.; Antonijevic, S.; Pouryazdanparast, P.; Gerami, P. (2011). "Eyebrow Epilation by Threading: An Increasingly Popular Procedure with Some Less-Popular Outcomes—A Comprehensive Review". Dermatologic Surgery. 37 (7): 1051–1054. doi:10.1111/j.1524-4725.2011.02016.x. PMID 21585596.
- Abdel-Gawad, M.; Abdel-Hamid, I.; Wagner, R. (1997). "Khite: A non-Western technique for temporary hair removal". International Journal of Dermatology. 36 (3): 217. doi:10.1046/j.1365-4362.1997.00189.x. PMID 9159010.