A random player is chosen to be the "Three Man", and may be given a hat to wear to signify this role. Players then take turns around the table to roll two six-sided die, with the following effects:
- For a roll that totals 3, or shows 3 on one of its dice, The Three Man must take a drink.
- For any roll that totals 7, the person to the left of roller drinks. (If a 3-4 is rolled, "Three Man" must also drink.)
- For any roll that totals 11, the person to the right of roller drinks.
- Whenever a double is rolled, every player except the roller must drink the number of times shown on one of those dice. (eg. a double six means everyone else takes six drinks)
In the "doubles" variation, whoever rolls doubles (Player A) can "give" them to another player (Player B), who then rolls both the dice to see how many times he/she must drink. If B rolls doubles, the dice are returned to A, who must roll and drink twice as many times as the value that he/she rolls (e.g., if A rolls 3 and 2, A must drink 10 times).
In the "Party Foul" variant, if the dice fall off the table, the player drinks for each fallen dice. When a "Sloppy Jalopy" rule is applied, the player with fallen dice is loudly admonished as a "Sloppy Jalopy" and immediately becomes the new Three Man.
One version includes special effects for any roll of 1:
- 1 and 1 follow the usual rules for passing off doubles.
- 1 and 2 makes the roller Three Man.
- 1 and 3 makes the Three Man drink (as with any roll of a 3).
- 1 and 4 thumb to table or floor: last player to place his/her thumb must drink.
- 1 and 5 turn ends.
- When a 1 and 6 is rolled, the player to the left drinks.
Bathroom penalty: If someone is in the bathroom when it is his turn to roll, he must take 1 drink for every 5 seconds he is late returning.
- Ben Applebaum, Dan DiSorbo (2012). The Book of Beer Awesomeness: A Champion's Guide to Party Skills, Amazing Beer Activities, and More Than Forty Drinking Games. Chronicle. pp. 171–172.
- "3-man / 3-bitch." 3-man Drinking Game. PinkyMcDrinky, n.d. Web. 15 Aug. 2013. <http://www.pinkymcdrinky.com/3-man.php>.
- "Three Man." BeerTutor.com's Rules. 7 Seconds Resources, Inc., n.d. Web. 15 Aug. 2013. <http://www.beertutor.com/just_for_fun/drinking_games/3man.shtml>.
- "Dice Games." RP Repository. Repository and PIXELovely, n.d. Web. 15 Aug. 2013. <http://www.rprepository.com/c/sneeuw/2929>.