Three Rivers Classic
Logo for the 2012 Three Rivers Classic
|Sport||College ice hockey|
|No. of teams||4|
|Most titles||Robert Morris (3)
Boston College (1)
The Three Rivers Classic is a two-day Division I college ice hockey tournament which is held annually at PPG Paints Arena, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The inaugural tournament took place on December 28–29, 2012 and featured teams from Miami University, Ohio State University, Pennsylvania State University and Robert Morris University. The second tournament was played out on December 27–28, 2013 and featured Penn State, Robert Morris, Boston College and Bowling Green State University. The Classic is the evolution of a showcase of games that the Robert Morris Colonials have played against the Ohio State Buckeyes and Miami RedHawks at either Consol Energy Center or Mellon Arena in previous years.
Since many fans of the National Hockey League's Pittsburgh Penguins (who play at Consol Energy Center) are also fans of Robert Morris and Penn State, the two teams are planned to be fixtures of the tournament in years to come.
|Year||Champion||Runner-up||Third place||Fourth place|
|2016||Robert Morris||Quinnipiac||Boston College||Ferris State|
|2015||Robert Morris||UMass Lowell||Penn State||Clarkson|
|2014||Colgate||Robert Morris||Western Michigan||Penn State|
|2013||Boston College||Penn State||Bowling Green||Robert Morris|
|2012||Robert Morris||Miami||Penn State||Ohio State|
Consolation game between Ferris State and BC was decided in a shootout for the tournament, however the game was officially a tie. BC def. Ferris in the shootout 2-1
On Day 2 (December 30), in the consolation game, the Western Michigan Broncos beat the Penn State Nittany Lions 4-1. In the championship game the Colgate Raiders beat the Robert Morris Colonials 6-1, to win their first title.
On Day 2 (December 28), in the consolation game the Bowling Green Falcons beat the Robert Morris Colonials 3-2. In the championship game the Boston College Eagles beat the Penn State Nittany Lions 8-2, to win its first title.
On Day 2 (December 29), in the consolation game, the Penn State beat the Ohio State Buckeyes 5-4. In the championship game, the Robert Morris Colonials beat the Miami RedHawks 1-0, to win their first title.
The total attendance for the inaugural games held on December 28 was listed as 11,663, while 10,797 turned out for the next day's games. The attendance total of 22,460 exceeded what had been hoped for by the event's planners, who estimated only 5,000 - 6,000 fans for each day of the games. The inaugural Classic also took part during the 2012–13 NHL lockout, which may have helped increase interest in the event.
- Werner, Sam (December 28, 2012). "Robert Morris hockey attracts strong field for Three Rivers Classic". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- David Drew (29 December 2014). "WMU hockey falls to No. 14 Colgate, 2-1, in Three Rivers Classic". Pittsburgh: MLive. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- Grubba, Matt (December 29, 2014). "Robert Morris hockey holds off Penn State in Three Rivers Classic". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- Joey Sykes (30 December 2014). "2014 Three Rivers Classic Blog: Day 2". Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh Penguins. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- Grubba, Matt (December 30, 2014). "Colgate offense topples Robert Morris to win Three Rivers Classic title". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- "Boston College Shut Outs Bowling Green To Open 2013 Three Rivers Classic". Pittsburgh: World Hockey. 28 December 2013. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- Alex Robinson (28 December 2013). "Penn State Sneaks Past Robert Morris 3-2 At Three Rivers Classic". Pittsburgh: Onward State. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- Nesbitt, Stephen J. (December 28, 2013). "Robert Morris heats up too late, loses consolation game, 3-2, to Bowling Green". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- Nesbitt, Stephen J. (December 28, 2013). "Boston College blasts Penn State, 8-2, in Three Rivers Classic championship game". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- Sam Werner (29 December 2012). "Three Rivers Classic College Hockey Tournament: Robert Morris beats Penn State". Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh Post Gazette. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- Matt Gajtka (29 December 2012). "Three Rivers Classic Day 1 recap: RMU, Miami score shutouts in first round". Pittsburgh: Fansided. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- "Thank You Terry: M: Penn State 5 vs. Ohio State 4". Pittsburgh. 29 December 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- Steve Uhlmann (29 December 2012). "Three Rivers Classic 2012: Robert Morris upsets Miami for championship". Pittsburgh: SB Nation. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- Molinari, Dave (December 31, 2012). "Three Rivers Classic a success at the gate". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.