The Three Sounds
|The Three Sounds|
|Birth name||The Three Sounds|
The band formed in Benton Harbor, Michigan as the Four Sounds. The original line-up consisted of Gene Harris on piano, Andrew Simpkins on double bass and Bill Dowdy on drums, along with saxophonist Lonnie 'The Sound' Walker, who dropped out the following year. The group moved to Washington and then New York, where, as the Three Sounds, they cut a record for Riverside Records, before signing an exclusive contract with Blue Note.
Between 1958 and 1962, the group released nine albums for Blue Note. They toured nationally during this period, building a large following in jazz clubs across the country. The trio played and recorded with the likes of saxophonists Lester Young, Lou Donaldson, Stanley Turrentine and Sonny Stitt, cornet player Nat Adderley, singer Anita O'Day, and guitarist Bucky Pizzarelli, among others.
Samples in Hip hop
The Three Sounds song "Put On Train", from the 1971 Gene Harris album The 3 Sounds was featured as the prominent background sample in the hip-hop group Beastie Boys song "What Comes Around" on their 1989 album Paul's Boutique. It previously stated here that this sample came from the Three Sounds album Live at the It Club, recorded in 1970, however this was not released (on Live at the it Club Vol. 2) until 2000.
- 1958: Introducing the 3 Sounds
- 1958: Introducing the 3 Sounds Vol. 2
- 1958: Branching Out with Nat Adderley
- 1959: Bottoms Up!
- 1959: LD + 3 with Lou Donaldson
- 1959: Good Deal
- 1960: Moods
- 1960: Feelin' Good
- 1960: Here We Come
- 1960: It Just Got to Be
- 1960: Blue Hour with Stanley Turrentine
- 1961: Hey There
- 1961: Babe's Blues
- 1962: Out of This World
- 1962: Black Orchid
- 1962: Blue Genes
- 1963: Anita O'Day & The Three Sounds
- 1963: Jazz on Broadway
- 1963: Some Like It Modern
- 1964: Live at the Living Room
- 1964: Three Moods (Limelight)
- 1965: Beautiful Friendship (Limelight)
- 1966: Today's Sounds (Limelight)
- 1966: Vibrations
- 1967: Live at the Lighthouse
- 1968: Coldwater Flat
- 1968: Elegant Soul
- 1969: Soul Symphony
- 1970: Live at the "It Club"
- 1971: The 3 Sounds - Gene Harris album