Three Springs, Pennsylvania
|Three Springs, Pennsylvania|
Location of Three Springs in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania.
|• Type||Borough Council|
|• Total||1.23 sq mi (3.19 km2)|
|• Land||1.23 sq mi (3.19 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|• Estimate (2016)||434|
|• Density||351.99/sq mi (135.91/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Local phone exchanges: 447, 448|
The narrow-gauge East Broad Top Railroad was constructed through the community in 1874. A small yard and station were located here, and a tank farm and scrap yard were serviced. The tracks have been out of service since 1956 but are still in place and owned by the railroad.
Three Springs is in southern Huntingdon County, sitting at the base of the south end of Jacks Mountain. Spring Creek and North Spring Branch flow through the borough, joining just southeast of the borough limits to form Three Springs Creek, an east-flowing tributary of Aughwick Creek and part of the Juniata River watershed. Sinking Run, another tributary of Three Springs Creek, flows through the eastern part of the borough.
Pennsylvania Route 994 runs through the center of the borough, leading northeast 6 miles (10 km) to Rockhill and west-northwest 20 miles (32 km) to Entriken. Pennsylvania Route 829 leads from the center of Three Springs 2 miles (3 km) northwest to Saltillo, and Pennsylvania Route 747 leads north-northeast 14 miles (23 km) to Mount Union at the Juniata River.
As of the census of 2000, there were 445 people, 200 households, and 127 families residing in the borough. The population density was 357.7 people per square mile (138.6/km²). There were 217 housing units at an average density of 174.4 per square mile (67.6/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 99.33% White, and 0.67% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.45% of the population.
There were 200 households, out of which 23.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.5% were married couples living together, 7.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.5% were non-families. 31.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 17.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.23 and the average family size was 2.76.
In the borough the population was spread out, with 19.8% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 24.7% from 25 to 44, 24.5% from 45 to 64, and 22.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 101.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.0 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $26,167, and the median income for a family was $35,179. Males had a median income of $32,250 versus $22,500 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $15,962. About 5.4% of families and 11.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.9% of those under age 18 and 14.0% of those age 65 or over.
- Josh Edgin, pitcher, New York Mets
- Mike Fleck, Pennsylvania State Representative for the 81st District
- James Monroe Miller, U.S. Representative from Kansas
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 14, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Three Springs borough, Pennsylvania". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 23, 2018.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.