Three Wolf Moon
Three Wolf Moon is a T-shirt featuring three wolves howling at the moon. The numerous satirical reviews for this on Amazon.com have become an Internet phenomenon. The T-shirt was designed by artist Antonia Neshev.
The Three Wolf Moon T-shirt, created by The Mountain Corporation, gained popularity after attracting sarcastic reviews on Amazon.com attributing great power to it, such as making the wearer irresistible to women, striking fear into other males, and having magical healing abilities. These reviews were made mainly by members of the Bodybuilding.com Misc section. Brian Govern, a law student at Rutgers University, was searching for a school book on Amazon and was led to the Three Wolf Moon T-shirt by an Amazon recommendation which had been targeted at students purchasing college semester books. He decided to write a review of the shirt on a whim as he did not actually own the shirt. His faux-serious review as "Bee-Dot-Govern" in November 2008 concluded:
Pros: Fits my girthy frame, has wolves on it, attracts women Cons: Only 3 wolves (could probably use a few more on the 'guns'), cannot see wolves when sitting with arms crossed, wolves would have been better if they glowed in the dark.
The shirt attracted further interest when it became popular on networking sites such as Digg and Facebook and was then lauded in conventional media as an Internet phenomenon. German scholar Melvin Haack considers it to be a notable example of a redneck joke. The reviews have been included in studies of such online sarcasm. Such sarcasm tends to confound analysis of customer reviews and so the texts have been analysed to determine which elements might identify sarcasm. One common example found in n-gram analysis was "alpha male".
The T-shirt is manufactured by The Mountain Corporation, a wholesale clothing company in Keene, New Hampshire, United States. Their art director, Michael McGloin, said that they were making many more shirts in response to the great demand which had made it the top-selling item in Amazon's clothing store. Due to the success of the shirt, the New Hampshire Division of Economic Development made it their "official New Hampshire T-shirt of economic development" and awarded it as a prize for innovation.
Parodies and attributions
Capcom prepared a limited run through iam8bit of a "Three Wolf God Sun" shirt for the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con International, featuring images of the wolf gods Shiranui, Amaterasu and Chibiterasu from their video games Ōkami and Ōkamiden.
Minecraft has parodied the design in its own T-shirt merchandise, replacing the wolves with Creepers, an iconic enemy featured in the game.
In Episode 1 of Season 9 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Mac is wearing the Three Wolf Moon shirt.
In Skullgirls, Beowulf's level 3 super is based on the Three Wolf Moon shirt, the Three Wulf Moonsault. The first three hits cause wolf sihoullettes to appear and ends with Beowulf delivering a body slam while briefly shown in front of a full moon.
In Guild Wars 2, if three rangers use the Call of the Wild skill simultaneously, a 'Lunar Wolf' is summoned. The animation of each skill depicts a wolf howling at the moon similar to one shown in the T-shirt. The Wolf Rank Finisher also features an animation resembling the design.
In Episode 4 of Season 1 of Mr. Robot, Mobley is wearing the Three Wolf Moon shirt.
In the video game NEO Scavenger the player can find a "Three Dog Moon" shirt which will make Dogmen less likely to attack them.
In the video game The Wolf Among Us, if you get all of the trophies in the game on PlayStation consoles, the platinum image has a version of the image with Bigby Wolf as the wolves.
- Peter Applebome (May 24, 2009). "Think a T-Shirt Can't Change Your Life? A Skeptic Thinks Again". The New York Times.
- Daniel Emery (21 May 2009), Joke review boosts T-shirt sales, BBC
- Rajiv Sabherwal, Irma Becerra Fernandez (2009), Business Intelligence, John Wiley and Sons, ISBN 978-0-470-46170-9
- "B. Govern "Bee-Dot-Govern"'s review of The Mountain Youth Three Wolf Moon Short S". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- "Customer Reviews: The Mountain Three Wolf Moon Short Sleeve Tee". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- Joseph Jaffe (2010), Flip the Funnel: How to Use Existing Customers to Gain New Ones, John Wiley and Sons, ISBN 978-0-470-48785-3
- Melvin Haack (2009-08-20), Redneck Jokes as a Subcultural Phenomenon (PDF), Technische Universität Carolo-Wilhelmina zu Braunschweig
- Antonio Reyes, Paolo Rosso (2011), Mining Subjective Knowledge from Customer Reviews: A Specific Case of Irony Detection (PDF)
- "The Mountain Artwear Tie-Dyed Animal T-Shirts & Apparel". www.themountain.com. Retrieved 2017-05-04.
- Steve Johnson (May 20, 2009), Three Wolf Moon T-shirt inspires wave of snarkiness on Amazon product reviews -- and sales skyrocket, Chicago Tribune
- "State Hopes To Harness Power Of 'Three Wolf' Shirts". WMUR. 27 Jan 2010.
- Tom Phillips (23 July 2009), Three Keyboard Cat Moon: and the internet did rejoice, Metro, archived from the original on 2018-06-12
- "Star Wars Merchandise - Star Wars Toys, LEGO & Clothing | StarWars.com". Shop.starwars.com. Archived from the original on 2010-12-05. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- Warmouth, Brian (2010-07-15). "Awesome Three Wolf Moon Shirt Gets 'Okami'-fied". MTV. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "SDCC Update: Triple Function Design". Capcom. 2010-07-14. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "RWBY Three Beowolf Moon Shirt - Rooster Teeth – Rooster Teeth Store". Store.roosterteeth.com. Retrieved 2016-09-15.
- "Portal 2 Three Turret Moon T-Shirt". Archived from the original on April 26, 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-18.
- Guild Wars 2 - Lunar Wolf.
- Steinberg, Dan (2015-01-09). "Georgetown fans howl (happily) over iconic Jack the Bulldog T-shirt". Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2018-06-07.