Entrance of Thrissur Zoo
|Location||Thrissur, Kerala, India|
|Land area||13.5 acres (5.5 ha)|
|Annual visitors||2,000 (Per day) |
Thrissur Zoo or State Museum & Zoo, Thrissur (formerly the Trichur Zoo) is a 13.5-acre (5.5 ha) zoo that opened in 1885 in the heart of Thrissur City, Kerala, India. It is one of the oldest zoos in the country, and is home to the wide variety of animals, reptiles, and birds. The zoo compound includes a natural history museum and an art museum that showcase the socio-cultural heritage of the region. The Thrissur Zoo is 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) from the Thrissur City center and is open from 10:00 AM till 5:15 PM, except Mondays. Still and video cameras are allowed in the park for a fee.
The zoo includes a Zoological Garden, Botanical Garden, Art Museum, and Natural History Museum in its compound.
Wildlife at the Thrissur zoo includes tigers, lions, deers, sloth bears, monkeys, hippopotamus, camels, cobras, kraits, vipers, rat snakes, pink flamingos, mithun of the north-eastern hills, and lion-tailed macaques. There is also a special building which houses snakes.
Two beautiful niches with majestic seating are arranged for senior citizens who can take rest while their children and grandchildren enjoy the sprawling zoo campus.
A new home for the zoo is being constructed in nearby Puthur, and will expand the size of the zoo from its current 13.5 acres (5.5 ha) to 306 acres (124 ha). The new zoo will be close to the Peechi Dam, Kerala Forest Research Institute, Kerala Agricultural University College of Forestry, and College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences.
- "List of Zoos in India, from 1800 until now". kuchbhi.com. Kuchbhi. Archived from the original on 21 October 2011. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- "State Museum and Zoo". thrissurkerala.com. ThrissurKerala.com. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "Thrissur zoo buys emus to pull in crowds". Times of India. Retrieved 2012-02-05.
- "Search Establishment". cza.nic.in. CZA. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Thrissur zoo to have modern facilities". thehindu.com. The Hindu. 6 June 2010. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thrissur Zoo.|