|Venerable Thubten Chodron|
Venerable Thubten Chodron
|Born||September 18, 1950
Thubten Chodron (born Cherry Green) is an American Tibetan Buddhist nun and a central figure in reinstating the Bhikshuni (tib. Gelongma) ordination of women. She is a student of H. H. XIVth Dalai Lama, Tsenzhab Serkong Rinpoche, Thubten Zopa Rinpoche and other Tibetan masters.
Born in 1950, Ven. Chodron grew up in a "non-religious" Jewish family near Los Angeles, California, United States and earned her B.A. in History, University of California at Los Angeles in 1971. While doing graduate work in Education, she taught elementary school. She took a course with Ven. Lama Yeshe and Ven. Lama Zopa Rinpoche in 1975, inspiring her to study and practice Tibetan tradition at their monastery in Nepal. In 1977, she received Sramanerika (novice) ordination, and in 1986, she travelled to Taiwan to receive the full Bhikshuni ordination.
She has studied and practiced Buddhism of the Tibetan tradition extensively, in India and Nepal, and for three years at Dorje Pamo Monastery in France. She has held several significant posts, including Director of the spiritual program at Lama Tzong Khapa Institute, Italy for two years, Resident Teacher at Amitabha Buddhist Centre in Singapore, and ten years as Spiritual Director and Resident Teacher at Dharma Friendship Foundation in Seattle. Seeing the importance and necessity of a monastery for Westerners training in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, in 2003 she founded Sravasti Abbey, a Buddhist monastery near Newport, Washington, and she is currently the abbess there.
Ven. Chodron emphasizes the practical application of Buddha’s teachings in our daily lives and is especially skilled at explaining them in ways easily understood and practiced by Westerners. She is well known for her warm, humorous, and lucid teachings. Her books include Open Heart, Clear Mind; Taming the Mind; Buddhism for Beginners; Working with Anger; Guided Meditations on the Stages of the Path (with CD); Cultivating a Compassionate Heart: The Yoga Method of Chenrezig; How to Free Your Mind: Tara the Liberator. She has also edited several books for her teachers, including Transforming Adversity into Joy and Courage by Geshe Jampa Tegchok; Choosing Simplicity by Bhikshuni Master Wu Yin; A Chat about Heruka and A Chat about Yamantaka, both by Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche. Many of her talks can be found on the web in both written and audio form as well as short daily talks on Youtube, longer video talks, and live Internet teachings.
Ven. Chodron is known for her work in re-establishing the Bhikshuni lineage, cultivating interfaith dialogue, creating Dharma outreach in prisons, and teaching the Dharma worldwide. Ven. Chodron was a co-organizer of Life as a Western Buddhist Nun, an international conference of Western Buddhist nuns held in 1996. She was also a crucial participant in the 1993 and 1994 Western Buddhist teachers conferences with H. H. XIVth Dalai Lama and was instrumental in the creation of the 2007 International Congress on Buddhist Women's Role in the Sangha. She is a member of the Committee for Bhikshuni Ordination and attends the annual gatherings of Western Buddhist Monastics in the USA.
- Don't Believe Everything You Think: Living With Wisdom and Compassion. Paperback 256 pages; Publisher: Snow Lion Publications; (January 8, 2013) ISBN 9781559393966
- Buddhism for Beginners. Paperback 160 pages; Publisher:Snow Lion Publications; (February 25, 2001) ISBN 1-55939-153-7
- Open Heart, Clear Mind. Paperback 224 pages; Publisher: Snow Lion Publications; (November 25, 1990) ISBN 0-937938-87-4
- Taming the Mind. Paperback 230 pages; Publisher:Snow Lion Publications; (September 25, 2004) ISBN 1-55939-221-5
- Working with Anger. Paperback 170 pages; Publisher:Snow Lion Publications; (October 25, 2001) ISBN 1-55939-163-4
- How to Free Your Mind: Tara the Liberator. Paperback 224 pages; Publisher:Snow Lion Publications; (April 25, 2005) ISBN 1-55939-226-6
- Cultivating a Compassionate Heart: The Yoga Method of Chenrezig. Paperback 155 pages; Publisher:Snow Lion Publications; (April 25, 2006) ISBN 1-55939-242-8
- Guided Meditations on the Stages of the Path. Paperback 154 pages; Publisher:Snow Lion Publications; (October 25, 2007) ISBN 1-55939-281-9
Edited by Ven. Thubten Chodron:
- "Insight Into Emptiness". Paperback 296 pages; Publisher: Wisdom Publications; ISBN 1-61429-013-X
- "Transforming Adversity Into Joy and Courage". Paperback 320 pages; Publisher: Snow Lion Publications; (September 2, 2005) ISBN 9781559392327
- "Choosing Simplicity: A Commentary on the Bhikshuni Pratimoksha". Paperback 300 pages; Publisher: Snow Lion Publications; (January 2, 2001) ISBN 9781559391559
- Ven. Thubten Chodron's official homepage
- Sravasti Abbey's official homepage
- Interview with Spokane Faith and Values
- "Determined to be Free": Interview with Ascent Magazine
- Audio Interview Series Teaching hosted on Buddhist Geeks