Thug Life: Volume 1
|Thug Life: Volume 1|
|Studio album by Thug Life|
|Released||October 11, 1994|
|Recorded||March 1993 – July 1994|
|Singles from Thug Life: Volume 1|
|Entertainment Weekly||A− link|
Thug Life: Volume 1 is the only studio album by American hip hop group Thug Life, started by rapper Tupac Shakur, and was released on October 11, 1994. The group featured Big Syke, Macadoshis, Mopreme, The Rated R and Tupac Shakur. Among the notable tracks on the album are "Bury Me a G," "Cradle to the Grave," "Pour Out a Little Liquor" (which also appears on the soundtrack to the 1994 film Above the Rim), "How Long Will They Mourn Me?" and "Str8 Ballin'." The album was originally released by Shakur's label Out Da Gutta Records. Due to heavy criticism on gangsta rap at the time, the original version of the album was scrapped and re-recorded with many of the original songs being cut. The album only contains ten tracks because Interscope Records felt many of the other recorded songs were too controversial to release. It has been said that 2Pac created two other versions of this album, with many of the songs still remaining unreleased.
Although the original version of the album never came to fruition as the album went through a number of changes, Tupac performed the planned first single from the album, "Out on Bail" at the 1994 Source Awards. Although the album was originally released on Shakur's label Out Da Gutta, Amaru Entertainment, the label owned by Tupac's mother, Afeni Shakur, has since gained the rights to it. Thug Life: Volume 1 was certified Gold. The track "How Long Will They Mourn Me?" appeared later in 1998 from 2Pac's Greatest Hits album.
It sold 500,000 copies in the United States in 1994.
"Full of machismo and do or die stances," wrote Jake Barnes in Q, "the lyrics' hardcore posturing is perversely undercut by sweet and delicate backings from artists like Curtis Mayfield, George Clinton and The Isley Brothers."
|1.||"Bury Me a G" (2Pac, Mopreme, Rated R, Big Syke, Macadoshis featuring Natasha Walker of Y.N.V.)||Thug Music||4:58|
|2.||"Don't Get It Twisted" (Mopreme Shakur, Rated R, Macadoshis)||3:19|
|3.||"Shit Don't Stop" (2Pac, Mopreme, Rated R, Big Syke, Macadoshis featuring Y.N.V.)||Thug Music||3:46|
|4.||"Pour Out A Little Liquor" (2Pac)||Johnny "J"||3:29|
|5.||"Stay True" (2Pac, Mopreme & Stretch)||Thug Music||3:09|
|6.||"How Long Will They Mourn Me?" (2Pac, Rated R, Big Syke & Macadoshis featuring Nate Dogg)||3:52|
|7.||"Under Pressure" (2Pac & Stretch)||Thug Music||4:32|
|8.||"Street Fame" (Mopreme, Rated R & Big Syke)||
|9.||"Cradle to the Grave" (2Pac, Mopreme, Rated R, Big Syke & Macadoshis)||
|10.||"Str8 Ballin" (2Pac)||Easy Mo Bee||5:04|
Bury Me a G
Don't Get It Twisted
Shit Don't Stop
Pour Out a Little Liquor
- "Impeach the President" by The Honey Drippers
- "Cry Together" by The O'Jays
- "Welcome to the Ghetto" by Spice 1
- "Eastside Rendezvous" by Kid Frost
- "Just Want to Be With You" by Curtis Mayfield
How Long Will They Mourn Me?
- "Don't Stop (Ever Loving Me)" by One Way
- "What's a Telephone Bill?" by Bootsy's Rubber Band
Album chart positions
|Billboard 200||Top R&B/Hip Hop Albums|
|1994||Thug Life Vol. 1||42||6|
Singles chart positions
|Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks||Hot Rap Singles|
|1995||"Cradle to the Grave"||91||25|
- Q, February 1995
- Select, January 1995
- DJ Vlad (April 25, 2016). "Thug Life Details Meeting 2Pac, Gang Affiliation, Pac's Thug Life Tattoo". YouTube. Retrieved November 26, 2016.
- "2Pac - Out On Bail (live 1994)". YouTube. 2007-01-08. Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "Recording Industry Association of America". RIAA. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "Tupac Month: 2Pac's Discography". Retrieved May 27, 2013.
- "Bury Me a G by Thug Life feat. Natasha Walker". WhoSampled. Retrieved November 26, 2016.
- "Don't Get It Twisted by Thug Life". WhoSampled. Retrieved November 26, 2016.
- "Shit Don't Stop by Thug Life feat. Y?N-Vee". WhoSampled. Retrieved November 26, 2016.
- "Pour Out a Little Liquor by Thug Life". WhoSampled. Retrieved November 26, 2016.
- "Stay True by Thug Life". WhoSampled. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "How Long Will They Mourn Me? by Thug Life feat. Nate Dogg". WhoSampled. Retrieved November 26, 2016.
- "Str8 Ballin' by Thug Life". WhoSampled. Retrieved 26 November 2016.